Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-36 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate Videos

From: boris%monsoon.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (Boris Chen)
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 1991 16:04:19 -0700
Subject: Re: Kate Videos
To: <love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: usenet%agate.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (USENET Administrator)

In article <9110110342.AA04274@m2.csc.ti.com> vishal@m2.csc.ti.COM (Vishal Markandey) writes:
>stev0@sti.COM (Steve Berlin) writes:
>"Embarrassing little romp" ?  What do you mean "embarrassing little romp" ?
>It is a *great* video, as are most of her others.  OK, some of the stuff
>on "Wuthering Heights" seems little outdated, but other than that, I don't
>see what is there to complain about.  There is no accounting for taste I
>suppose, or lack thereof.

Maybe its just taste, but don't you think that KT seemed a bit uncomfortable,
or something? Her eyes were nailed to the camera, and her choreography
seemed really sophmoric and planned out. There was nothing impulsive
or free flowing in it, except for the mushy camera work and lighting.
(not to mention the kalideoscope of Kates)

>"The man with the child in his eyes" is "really embarrassing" ?  "Breathing",
>"Babooshka", "Suspended in Gaffa", "There goes a tenner", are "embarrassing" ?

I think only Sat in your Lap and The Dreaming were on the TWS vid.
I don't remember SiG or TGaT. Breathing wasn't too bad. It was
only limited by budget it seemed.

>Sheesh!!  I won't even go into the "Live at Hammersmith" stuff which is
>also pre HoL, except to say I'd really like to know what you find
>embarrassing about "Violin", or "Kite", or "James and the cold gun" !!
>Well sure this stuff isn't as slick as the stuff you see on MTV, where you
>get to see people in loud colored spandex mindlessly jumping around under
>some kind of misconception that they are dancing.

I personally think the Hammersmith vid is really good. In addition to
Violin and Kite, I liked her Wuthering Heights, Heavy PEople, Moving
and Strange Phenomenon. The only bad think about the video is that the
stupid credits come on before WH is done with. She comes to life
on stage and in concert. But in those early videos she was almost a
moving corpse.

--boris