Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-36 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kate Videos

From: vishal@m2.csc.ti.com (Vishal Markandey)
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1991 20:42:06 -0700
Subject: Kate Videos
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com

stev0@sti.COM (Steve Berlin) writes:

> After I saw the video for Army Dreamers, I knew what the sound was.  But
> until then, I always thought it was the sound of a slide projector...
> This mistake gives the song a very different visual imagry (which, of
> course, after seeing the video a few times, I no longer have, which is
> a pity, because I like my imagry of the song better than Kate's
> embarrassing little romp through the woods).

"Embarrassing little romp" ?  What do you mean "embarrassing little romp" ?
It is a *great* video, as are most of her others.  OK, some of the stuff
on "Wuthering Heights" seems little outdated, but other than that, I don't
see what is there to complain about.  There is no accounting for taste I
suppose, or lack thereof.

> Which brings up another thought:  Except for the HoL-era videos, IMHO
> Kate's videos can't really be judged by "better" and "worse", only by
> "not quite as embarrassing" and "really embarrassing" (TD and N4E-era
> ones fall into the first KaTegory, for the most part, while most of
> the rest squarely fall into the second).  OK, many folk's pre-eMpTy Vee
> videos seem "lame" by our jaded standards, but you'ld think KaTe, of
> all folks, would know better...

"The man with the child in his eyes" is "really embarrassing" ?  "Breathing",
"Babooshka", "Suspended in Gaffa", "There goes a tenner", are "embarrassing" ?
Sheesh!!  I won't even go into the "Live at Hammersmith" stuff which is
also pre HoL, except to say I'd really like to know what you find
embarrassing about "Violin", or "Kite", or "James and the cold gun" !!
Well sure this stuff isn't as slick as the stuff you see on MTV, where you
get to see people in loud colored spandex mindlessly jumping around under
some kind of misconception that they are dancing.

- Vishal