Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: TSW

From: Dances With Voles <jondr@sco.COM>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 1991 10:19:13 -0700
Subject: Re: TSW
To: rec-music-gaffa@sco.COM
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@sco.COM

Yo! MTARR@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU raps:
>To get serious, I think Kate's voice in TSW was at its best.  I personally
>don't give a flying **** about sound quality, since all I have to listen to
>things on is a Sanyo CD box that doesn't even have an equalizer.  But when it
>comes to her voice, it blew me away the first time, and still does!

Gee, I don't even think her voice is in as good shape on this one.  Not as
many mind-expandingly beautiful lines, in my book.  I think the whole outing
was largely sub-par.

>I also found "Rocket's Tail" to be especially powerful.  But that's obviously
>just me.

No, it's a great song, but it deserves, nay, DEMANDS to be blasted so loud
that it reduces your house to a pile of dust.  Unfortunately, if you attempt
to do this, you will be overcome by waves of hiss and noise.  Maybe Kate was
attempting to be INDUSTRIAL... yeah, that's the ticket...

>The true test to me was the fact that after hearing TSW, the '86 version of
>"Wuthering Heights" didn't seem as amazing.  I know I'm in the HUGE minority on
>this one, and 99% of you are going to go ballistic, but that version was, and
>is, in my opinion, unbelievable.

Finally, someone with some TASTE.

>However, when I want people to
>hear how far she's some in general, I play '77 "WH" and then "RO".  They
>usually go away convinced!!!

You mean they notice an incredible regression towards total boring MOR-ness
and say, "wow, I gotta go get this Kick Inside album immediately"?

--
Jon Drukman (love pantry)                       uunet!sco!jondr   jondr@sco.com
I don't believe it... it's like a cross between food and bowel surgery!