Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: TSW

From: boris%monsoon.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (Boris Chen)
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 1991 19:16:57 -0700
Subject: Re: TSW
To: <love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: usenet%agate.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (USENET Administrator)

In article <HRJ981w164w@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca> kellyt@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca (Kelly Torrance) writes:

>chryses@xurilka.UUCP ("Phong Co") writes:
>

>> I too found "The Sensual World" to be an album not quite like the
>> others.  I like the lush orchestration, the Trio Bulgarka, etc.  What
>> I found weak was...Kate's voice.  It just seemed rather flat, without
>> the energy and spark of her earlier works.  I don't even like

> As for her voice, well, yes, I don't think it's quite as good as on her
>previous albums. Just doesn't have a certain "quality" that made her
>sound so great on her other albums. Like on "Wuthering Heights," (both
>versions), for example. But the album IS growing on me. It just appeals
>to me in a different way than her others ones that I have.

I have to disagree. Her voice has definitely improved over the years.
She has gotten better voice control, as well has gaining the ability
to vary her singing for better expression.

I think that HoL was a better album than TSW, but I think that HoL was
her best album singing wise.

To slightly revive the "Catherine" debate, I think that it is pretty
silly to get upset to her changing her style in TSW. To me, it seems
that EVERY album has a different style or mood that is expressed.
TKI is one of adolescence and youthful wonderment. NfE is a darker
disturbing collection of mystery and abhorance to aspects of the
world. TD is described as surealistic, but "different" is the word
I think is more accurate. HoL is a bit more mainstream modern
rockish, TNW is a bit artsy and ominous. TSW is, well, pretty sensual.

I think there is more of a difference between L and TD, than HoL and
TSW. If TSW is "Catherine," then she was here a long time ago.

Boris Chen             | Things will come out right now. We can make it so
Berkeley, CA           | Someone is on your side, no one is alone.
boris@ocf.berkeley.edu | --Into the Woods (Stephen Sondheim)