Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-30 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: from Little Light

From: bsbbs!mdc@eddie (Melissa D. Caldwell)
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 1991 21:10:02 -0700
Subject: Re: from Little Light
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu

katefans@chinet.chi.il.us (Chris n Vickie) writes:

> Chris here,
>   Kate _was_ scheduled to appear on Letterman in 1984, on the last night
> she was in New York. She begged off, our guess is that she watched the show.
> Around that time Letterman was at his most misogynistic. It would not have
> been a pleasant experience. It is interesting to note that the day before,

Where do you get the idea that David Letterman is misogynistic?  He
sometimes seems abrasive, but that's usually with guests who have a
reputation for pretension.  It seems to me that whether the guest is male
or female has nothing to do with it.

When Tanita Tikaram appeared on Late Night to promote her first album,
_Ancient Heart_, she was obviously very nervous.  When Letterman inter-
viewed Tikaram, he seemed sensitive to her discomfort and questioned her
in a very gentle manner.  She must not have found the experience too
unbearable, because she has been back on the show since then.

I've seen many other instances of the same kind of thing.  I've also seen
Letterman verbally shred people who really had it coming.

 Melissa Caldwell                         You want my reply?
 The Big Sky BBS (+1 614 864 1198)         What was the question?
 {n8emr|nstar}!bluemoon!bsbbs!mdc           I was looking at the Big Sky
 mdc@bsbbs.UUCP