Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-30 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

second part of Dreaming Debut interview.

From: rhill@pnet01.cts.com (Ronald Hill)
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 1991 01:15:40 -0700
Subject: second part of Dreaming Debut interview.
To: crash!wiretap.Spies.COM!Love-Hounds@nosc.mil

[Second part of dud Dreaming Debut interview]

        I: Could you do that Melissa? [Kate laughs]
        Melissa: I don't think so, no.
        I: Do you suffer from nerves, I mean in that form, that you don't
really like to, you know, get out in front of people and do things?
        Melissa: I think so, yes.  I wouldn't like to perform in any way, I
don't think.
        I: You don't think.  You're happy enough to stay at home. [Laughs]  Do
you have any family, Melissa?
        Melissa: Yes.  Well, just my [cartoon ??? inaudible] brother and mom.
        I: Obviously you're not married.
        Melissa: I'm not married.
        I: Do you work at all?
        Melissa: No, I'm at college.

[Non Kate talk skipped]

        I: And now we have another Kate, this time Kate Teese it looks like in
Maidenhead.  Good afternoon to you Kate.
        Kate T: Hello.
        I: Is your surname correct, is it Teese?
        Kate T: Yes that's right, Teese.
        I: Sometimes it's hard to make out the writing.  However Kate what's
your question today?
        Kate T: Well, I'm really ringing for my daughter who would have rung
if she'd been at home.  But she's a great fan of yours, Kate and she belongs
to your fan club and has got all of your records.  But she's at college today
so she can't ring you.  And I'm sure she'd have asked you, if she was here,
when are you doing any live appearances, because she's dying to see you.
        K: Oh, great.  Well I've been dying to do some more performances since
the last show and I'm really hoping to get something together next year.  My
problem is that it really takes so much time that there's no way we could fit
it in this year.  And as yet I don't know when it will be next year, but it
will be next year sometime.
        I: Now when you say time, what kind of preparation and work do you
have to put into a live show?
        K: Oh, it's incredible!  There are so many different areas.  It's
really like a huge, great jigsaw that you're piecing together.   You have to
start with a band, and then you have the people that are up front like the
dancers, you have the lighting guy, the stage designer, the costumes, the
crew, a tour manager,  I mean there are just so many areas.  And in a lot of
ways, because it's dance and sound, I'm involved in a lot of those fringe
areas as well.  And it really would take a good six months to get another tour
together.
        I: Because you would have a lot more production in your show then
maybe other performers would have.
        K: Yes, yes, because we like to go for a theatrical show, yes, that's
right.
        I: You tend to forget about that, Kate Teese - I have to identify
which Kate I'm talking to now.  [Kate laughs]  I mean, the rest of us tend to
think "oh, well, you just stand up and do your stuff
and you get the band on the road and that's it."
        Kate Teese: Yeah.  Oh, no, my daughter, whose name is Julien, by the
way, Julien Row, she is involved in a lot of drama at college and she realizes
how much goes into it.
        K: Great.
        Kate Teese: And she's also studying "A" level music so she appreciates
all the... she really likes your songs because you write them and arrange
them, everything yourself.
        K: Great.  What does she want to do?
        Kate Teese: Um, well at the moment she wants to be an interior
designer.
        K: Fantastic!
        Kate Teese: But, ah, you know she's doing her "A" levels next summer
so I don't quite know what will happen then.
        K: Well, wish her a lot of luck for me, will you?
        Kate Teese: Yes, thank you very much.
        I: All the best to you Kate, thanks for your call.
        Kate Teese: Thank you.
        I: Thank you, bye bye.
        Kate Teese: Bye, bye.
        I: A lot of fast fired questions, if I can put it like that.  Colin
Home calls in from Harrygate in Yorkshire and he wants to know "PLEASE are you
going to be up north anywhere where he can go and see you, will you be
promoting your album?"
        K: Well I'm going to be doing some P.A.s and that's where I go to
shops and sign records for people.  And I hoping to go around the country in a
couple of weeks to do some of those, but I don't know where.  But I'm sure it
will be publicized somewhere.
        I: Watch the local press.  And Colin also says, "in Sat In Your Lap
cover it's written 'well done J.B.'" and he wants to who J.B. is.
        K: J.B. is a guy called John Barrot who certainly deserves to be
congratulated 'cause he did something very clever.  [Laughs]
        I: Very clever, you're not going to tell us anything further.  No?
        K: Nope!
        I: Secrets you see, today.  Steven Day, he's in Staphasure and he
wants to know the conflict between a performer and the record company in who
decides which song is going to be released as a single?
        K: I think that situation differs greatly from artist to artist and in
my situation I'm very lucky, I seem to normally have the last say in which the
single will be.
        I: You're an adamant lady in other words [Kate laughs] and get your
own way.
        K: I guess so, yeah. [Laughs]
        I: Okay, Loria Proud is in Birmingham and Loria would like to know
"when you come to write a song do you ever get any inspiration from classical
music that you've listened to in your spare time?"
        K: Yes, yes I think classical music is very inspirational.  Again,
because it's normally quite visual, you close your eyes and wonderful
landscapes start happening.  So I'm sure it has been very inspirational.
        I: Do you listen to a lot of classical stuff?
        K: No, not as much as I used to,no.  I listen to a lot more
contemporary stuff now.
        I: Mark Ridgewell in Northamptonshire he says "when you write an
album," he's listened to you today talking about you know various tracks, "but
overall what is your main aim when you put all those songs down?"
        K: I think the main aim is to get some kind of emotional impact
across, and hopefully it's the emotional situation that goes with the subject
matter of the song.  [Pause and then Kate laughs]
        I: But, again, I mean in overall success terms.
        K: Oh, I see.
        I: Cause you must aim as well to put out an record that pleases fans
or pleases you or?
        K: Yes, obviously it's more important to me that it pleases me when
I'm making it, but when it comes out it's fantastic if other people like it, I
mean that's really the reward for all the hard work.
        I: Obviously many people are interested in the ideas that you take.
And Kristeen Coola in Barnsley she wants to know "are you never inspired by
every day events, I mean topical events, newsy events?"
        K: Yes, I think um, I think I am, yes.  The thing about a lot of those
kind of events is that people cover them again and again in songs because they
are obviously very moving matters.  But yes, I think the state of the world
influences me a lot, I think it does every writer.
        I: But deep down I think when it comes to your songs, you're more of a
romantic, are you not?
        K: Yes, I think I'm more concerned with the psychological side of
human beings.  I am a romant... romantasist as well.  But I think I'm very
interested in the way that people's brains work, they're very different from
each other sometimes.  [Laughs]
        I: That's for sure.  Well, we've talked alot about your early career,
we've talked a lot about the album [really????] I would like to talk a little
about the next twelve months or thereabouts.  You said that you might go on
tour but what else do you plan to do now that you've got this album made?
        K: Well, um... Obviously this was the most important step to get over
and really now I'm trying to catch on all the things that I've got behind with
because the album has taken so long.  And I'm going to be promoting the album
and doing some work in Europe and that kind of thing and making some videos
for the singles.  And then I'll be working on rehearsing for the show, which
obviously has to start a good six months up front of the show happening.
        I: So, I don't know what you'll do in your spare time over the next
twelve months.  But, Kate, thanks very much for coming in today.
        K: Thank you.
        I: And perhaps you would set up this particular track, Sat In Your
Lap.  Maybe tell me the story about that.
        K: Okay.  When I went to see the Stevie Wonder gig and it was
incredible, it was really good.  And the next night I went into our home
studio and wrote the song in a couple of hours and that was it, one of the
quickest songs I've ever written.
        I: And here it is.

[Sat In Your Lap is played]

        I: Sat In Your Lap, thats off the new Kate Bush album, the album is
called Dreaming [sic].  Kate has been our guest throughout the program.  I'd
like to thank her very much and of course to you as well, at home, for your
telephone and your queries.

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!rhill
ARPA: crash!pnet01!rhill@nosc.mil
INET: rhill@pnet01.cts.com