Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-26 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Get off it!

From: nrc@cbema.att.com (Neal R Caldwell, Ii)
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 1991 00:49:13 -0800
Subject: Re: Get off it!
To: gaffa-post@eddie.mit.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Vickie writes:
> Vickie here.
>
> Ken.Saintjohn writes re Richard's suggestion re Jane Siberry:

[I've substituted Ken's full text for Vickie's abridged version]

| mdc@bluemoon.uucp writes:
| >As long as we're listing our desert island discs, I thought I'd break my
| >silence and make my first post.
|
|  Well hi there Missy!  I sure hope ya won't be like Richard and not
| speak your mind every now and then :) I sure liked your frisbee <sp>
| idea, myself?  Well I was thinking more along the lines of a rescue
| aircraft signalling device.  Anyway it's good to see ya here!

> You can send us back that "Infant Kiss" video.
>
> Like or dislike, can't you and Richard show some respect for an
> obviously talented, dedicated female solo artist trying to make
> decent music in this male-dominated world?

Vickie, you're way off base here.  You literally do not know what
you're talking about.

In the process of offering four JS LPs to anyone who wanted them I
said....

#(I realize that there
#probably aren't many people here who haven't heard Jane but I don't
#care, they were only a buck total and we'll use them as frisbees if
#nobody wants them).

That was a joke, Vickie.  I do that from time to time in spite of my
lack of a sense of humor.  Last I heard, objecting to a joke here on
the grounds that it was unfair, unkind or inaccurate in premise only
resulted in being called "humorless" or "deficient".

The point was not to insult Jane Siberry but to express that it was no
big deal to me if nobody wanted those LPs.  I have said in this forum
that Jane Siberry is a talented artist but that her music is not to my
taste.  I respect her.  Sorry, but even people that I respect are not
safe from my occasional bouts with chronic irreverence.

I just hope that if I had really wanted to insult Jane Siberry I could
have done a much better job than the old joke about using LPs as
frisbees.  LPs don't work nearly as well as even our cheapest frisbee
so it's a bit silly that you'd get so up tight about it.

The thing that really pegs the "goofball things to go nutzoid over"
meter is the fact that Ken wasn't even talking about my Jane Siberry
remark.  That remark only got to the mailing list and Ken reads the
newsgroup.  Ken was laughing about a similar joke that *Missy* made
about an unlikely choice she was kidding about putting on her DID list.
If you had been paying attention instead of strapping on the napalm
tank and lighting up the pilot you might have noticed that Ken's post
was to Missy, *not* me.

And what does any of this have to do with struggling in a male-
dominated world?

"Don't drive too slowly."                 Richard Caldwell
                                          AT&T Network Systems
                                          att!cbnews!nrc
                                          nrc@cbnews.att.com