Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-25 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Puppy?

From: nrc@cbema.att.com (Neal R Caldwell, Ii)
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1991 14:46:07 -0800
Subject: Re: Puppy?
To: gaffa-post@eddie.mit.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

>From article <m0k1n4G-0002uhC@chinet.chi.il.us>, by katefans@chinet.chi.il.us (Chris Williams):
> Vickie here.
>
> Richard Caldwell writes:
>
>> Second, we have a slightly used (two previous owners) copy of Happy
>> Rhodes' _Warpaint_ CD.  Anyone who has not yet heard Happy Rhodes who
>
> I'm glad to see it's getting passed around. Someone will feel the
> magic eventually.

Either that or they'll just like it enough to keep it.  Either way is
fine with me.

>>  A review will follow if I can ever muster enough interest to finish it.
>
> Oh goody, looking forward to it. Then I can post some alternative opinion
> reviews. Thanks Richard!

Actually, I felt that my review would be an alternative to those that
have already been posted.  I've already said that I don't mind a
reasonable level of discussion about any artist as long as it's
appropriate and not disruptive.  Still, I have no particular desire to
be the one who starts this ball rolling again.

> I'm glad you're offering this one, but people should also be looking out
> for their first album and their EP too. My favorite is _The Nature
> of Things_. _Pin and Web_ is what got me into the group. "Throw Like

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to locate either of their first
two releases.  I'm sure it won't get any easier with IRS having evidently
lost interest.

> grew to appreciate them. The most incredible thing about Caterwaul is
> Betsy Martin's voice. SHE HAS *****THE**** ****WEIRDEST**** VOICE YOU'VE
> EVER HEARD!!! No kidding, no exaggeration! It's a love it or hate it

Actually it was the talk about Betsy's wierd voice that sort of put me
off.  Fortunately, Jon sent me a tape of favorites that included _Manna
and Quail_ from _Portent Hue_ and I loved it.  For me Betsy's voice is
the perfect compliment to their absolutely huge sound.  Missy found it
a bit too nasal and caterwaulling for her taste at first - and some
will - but she doesn't mind it so much now.  That's good considering
that there's no escaping the volume levels that this music cries out
to be played at.

> plays mandolin. The band is from Phoenix, living in LA now. I've been
> a fan for a few years and, though I was disappointed in their latest album
> _Portent Hue_, even it has some very good songs.

Aaah, here is where we diverge.  I love _Portent Hue_.  More guts,
more crunch and an even bigger sound than _Pin and Web_.  _Alex'
Aphrodesiac_, _Seven Rabbits_, _Good for You_...this is all great
stuff.

> I got a letter from Betsy the other day (in response to a letter I'd
> written extending condolences about IRS dropping them) and here's what

That's great, I sent a similar letter about a week ago.  Hope it
raises their spirits and keeps them going.

Betsy wrote:
> We got a new bass player (again) and a second guitarist, so we're pretty
> excited about the way things sound these days.

Hmmm, another guitar.  That's certainly taking the risk of fixing what
isn't broken but it should be interesting.  I hope we get to find
out.

"Don't drive too slowly."                 Richard Caldwell
                                          AT&T Network Systems
                                          att!cbnews!nrc
                                          nrc@cbnews.att.com