Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-25 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Puppy?

From: gatech!chinet.chi.il.us!katefans@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Chris Williams)
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 1991 15:20:00 -0800
Subject: Puppy?
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu

Vickie here.

Richard Caldwell writes:

> Second, we have a slightly used (two previous owners) copy of Happy
> Rhodes' _Warpaint_ CD.  Anyone who has not yet heard Happy Rhodes who
> wants this can have it.  Again, exchange offers will be given
> preference but one way or another this puppy's out the door.

I'm glad to see it's getting passed around. Someone will feel the
magic eventually.

>  A review will follow if I can ever muster enough interest to finish it.

Oh goody, looking forward to it. Then I can post some alternative opinion
reviews. Thanks Richard!

> Now, finally something I can whole heartedly endorse:  Caterwaul's
> _Pin and Web_ on CD will go to the person who sounds most interested.

Though I can't believe we actually agree on something, this is it.
I'm glad you're offering this one, but people should also be looking out
for their first album and their EP too. My favorite is _The Nature
of Things_. _Pin and Web_ is what got me into the group. "Throw Like
Thunder" is one incredible song! So are the rest. I agree that people
should be warned that there are lots of crunchy guitars and swirly bass.
The drums sound fairly ordinary (thay did to me) on first listen, but I
grew to appreciate them. The most incredible thing about Caterwaul is
Betsy Martin's voice. SHE HAS *****THE**** ****WEIRDEST**** VOICE YOU'VE
EVER HEARD!!! No kidding, no exaggeration! It's a love it or hate it
kind of voice. I love it, but I'm weird :-) so I can't talk for anyone
else. I interviewed Betsy on my radio show and her talking voice sounds
exactly the same as her singing voice. She sings, writes the lyrics and
plays mandolin. The band is from Phoenix, living in LA now. I've been
a fan for a few years and, though I was disappointed in their latest album
_Portent Hue_, even it has some very good songs.

I got a letter from Betsy the other day (in response to a letter I'd
written extending condolences about IRS dropping them) and here's what
she said:

"Hi! Thanks for the letter. Right now we're recording, we're going to
license out the music, or use it as a demo or something, we just want
to get our music out there again, so we're pretty excited.

We got a new bass player (again) and a second guitarist, so we're pretty
excited about the way things sound these days.

Anyway, when we get this done I'll send you a copy & maybe you can play
it. Thanks again, Betsy"

She's really nice, but very shy. I hope things go well with them.

Vickie (one of Vickie'n'Chris)
katefans@chinet.chi.il.us