Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-25 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

my attempt at a DID list

From: jeffy@lewhoosh.umd.edu
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 1991 20:45:20 -0800
Subject: my attempt at a DID list
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu

How anyone could possibly choose a mere 10 albums to live with for the
rest of their life--and still be satisfied with their decision many years
later--is beyond me.  But, since it seems to be the "in" thing right now,
I'll make an attempt.  These are in no particular order...

1.   Hounds of Love  		-- Kate Bush
2.   Big Science    		-- Laurie Anderson
3.   Animals     	        -- Pink Floyd
4.   Misplaced Childhood	-- Marillion
5.   Crossroads			-- Tracy Chapman
6.   Graceland  		-- Paul Simon
7.   Alchemy			-- Dire Straits
8.   Minstrel in the Gallery	-- Jethro Tull
9.   Never For Ever		-- Kate Bush
10.  Louder Than Bombs		-- The Smiths

--------------

Notes:

1.  We've been through this.  "The Ninth Wave" is KaTe's best album.  ;-)

2.  Somebody already mentioned _Stange Angels_ which is another of my favorite
albums.  I've found, though, that I can listen to _Big Science_ over and
over again and it never stops improving.

3.  Gotta have some Floyd in there.  "Dogs" is one of the greatest songs
ever written, and this is the album that holds the "Most plays in a limited
amount of time" record in my collection--at least 70 times in the three
weeks before the end of Thanksgiving Break and the end of finals week, 1989.
This album has stamina.

4.  Another neccessity:  Marillion.  I had a tough time choosing between
_Misplaced Childhood_ and _Clutching at Straws_ but it seems that this is
how it should be.

5.  A tough decision.  My music collection is dominated by male artists
(roughly 5:1) yet I've spent most of my time listening to female singers
for the past year or so.  This is another of those albums I can put on
infinite-repeat and enjoy each time "All That You Have Is Your Soul" fades
out and "Crossroads" fades back in.

6.  One of the greatest albums of all time.  Nothing more needs be said.

7.  I love the sort of mid-period Dire Straits (_Making Movies_ and _Love Over
Gold_) and this album not only compiles the best of both of these albums but
does so with Knopfler at his live, scorching best.  The 10+ minute version of
"Sultans of Swing" is guaranteed to put anyone in a good mood.

8.  I was torn between this album and _Minstrel in the Gallery_, though I knew
I needed some Tull in my Desert Island collection.  I'd actually be just as
happy with either album.

9.  Yes, I think _The Dreaming_ is a better album than _NFE_ but I simply
could not live without "Army Dreamers."

10.  When I get truly depressed, this is the album I play.  Morrissey's
whinging and moaning can always bring me back up.

-------------------

More comments:

a)  Yeah, I know, there really should be some Happy Rhodes in here.  I still
haven't figured out which of her first four albums I'd include, though I
think at this point it's a toss-up between _Rearmament_ and _Ecto_ with
the former having a slight edge.  I'd probably replace _Alchemy_ or Louder Than
Bombs_, though I'm not sure which.  Are you sure I can't take *11* discs
with me?

b)  I wish there were some way I could cram in Jane Siberry's "Map of the
World, Part I" -- the song that could soothe me to sleep each night after
a long, hard day out in the desert island sun.  And please?  Where could
I fit "Under the Ivy?"  I'm sure there's room on one one of the CDs, isn't
there?

c) Someone threw _The B-52's_ into their list.  I considered putting that
album on my list, but decided it's too much of a party album.  I don't
enjoy it nearly as much when I'm listening alone.

Ah well.  Guess that's enough said for now...

Jeff

|Jeffrey C. Burka                | "Show what you are / Be strong, be true  |
|                                | Time for you to / Be who you are."       |
|jeffy@lewhoosh.umd.edu          |                         --Happy Rhodes   |