Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-25 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Desert Island biases

From: genel@pyramid.pyramid.com (Gene Lege)
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 1991 20:25:24 -0800
Subject: Re: Desert Island biases
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <9107202058.AA10273@c5_aspen.aspen> you write:

>Beethoven: The Ninth Symphony
>	The master's magnum opus.  The apocryphal story of someone turning
>	him around to see the applause he could not hear after the final
>	chord sounded makes it that much more appealing.  Every composer
>	afterward has been influenced by him; in a sense, he was the Newton
>	of music.

I don't know about anyone else, but this work has, since the ripe old
age of fourteen, left me in total awe of what it means to be a Human Being.

Beethoven speaks to the *heart* of mankind in sweeping vision and transcendtal
voice.

Speaking as a student of physics and philosophy, Newton/Maxwell/Einstein/
Feynman/Bhuda all rolled into one might come close... (just kidding, far be
it for me to make such judgments.)

gl

ps.  "His piano-forte sonatas are also quite good," he said in his most dead-
      pan voice that no one has invented a smiley for yet...

--
Gene Lege' Jr. - Regional Support Engineer / Software  pyramid!pyrtech!genel
Pyramid Technology Corporation - Customer Suppot, Houston TX (713) 682-2711