Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-24 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: "The Whole Story Videos" a bit let down

From: neff@hp-vcd.vcd.hp.com (Dave Neff)
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 1991 11:47:55 -0800
Subject: Re: "The Whole Story Videos" a bit let down
To: gaffa-post@eddie.mit.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

More on the Whole Story Videos:

I suppose Kate's videos may grow on one just like her music, so perhaps
I was premature in my critique given that I had only quickly viewed
the videos once before posting.  As I think back, my first impression
of "The Sensual World" videos was lukewarm, but those videos have grown
on my to some extent (but I still don't think they are among the all time
great rock videos).  Certainly I now like "The Big Sky" better after seeing
it a few times -- it does have a "fun" feel, despite a frenzy of activity
at the end.  In fact, my 6 year old boy watched a few of the videos with me
and the very next day asked if he could watch them again.  I know he really
liked "The Big Sky", and I think that was the particular video he wanted
to see -- but knowing my boy he may have actually been wanting to see
Babooshka again :-). I did like "Cloudbusting" on first view, but Kate's funny
hair and trying to act like a young (how young really?) child detracted
from the video a bit.

Still, after watching the videos a few more time I would only put
the following videos in the "above average" category (compared with
all rock videos of all time):

Cloudbusting, Experiement IV, The Big Sky, Babooshka (I've always been
a sucker for a warrior goddess with nice legs).

I do think that there are really few good rock videos made, so perhaps
"The Whole Story" is doing well to have even 4 (in my opinions, I know
most will disagree).  Sorry, but I really like the songs "Hounds of Love"
and "Running up the Hill", but the videos in my opinion were not as good
as the songs.  Maybe they will still grown on me.  I will try to still
be open minded.

The older videos are interesting for their value in an anthology, and
anything that shows Kate performing is of course of value.  I must say
that the clips from "Wow" were very interesting, and I hope that "Live
at Hammersmith" comes out on domestic laserdisc soon (I just can't stand paying
real money for a video tape -- even if it does have Kate on it), or I
may try to get the import disc.  Can someone tell me if the Import
of "Live at Hammersmit" has digital sound and what the sound
quality is?  The picture quality didn't look that great, but tolerable
for an older concert.

I suppose I am not a "true" Kate fan.  I still cannot find it in my heart
to regard  "The Dreaming" as an artistic masterpiece.  I think "Hounds of
Love" is Kate's best effort, with "The Sensual World" her second best and
"The Kick Inside" her third best.  I'm sure this rating would rank me
with the infidels :-).  But I do truly regard Kate as the best female
music artist of our day.

Dave Neff
neff@hpvcfs1.HP.COM