Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-23 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: AAAAAARGHHHH!

From: nrc@cbema.att.com (Neal R Caldwell, Ii)
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 1991 10:22:01 -0800
Subject: Re: AAAAAARGHHHH!
To: gaffa-post@eddie.mit.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

>From article <9107081416.AA03417@chem.nwu.edu>, by stern@chem.nwu.EDU (Charlotte Stern):
> On the contrary, Richard.  I think 10 notes about Kate's schooling is fine,
> but 57 is not.

A quick perusal of our system locates about 10 posts containing
"levels," "grammar" or "school" in the last three months of activity.
That's out of over 200 posts.  That is not at all an unreasonable level
of volume for a subject that is directly related to Kate Bush and her
music.

> I would much rather here about new artists, with new
> music, such as Happy Rhodes, than be subjected to countless repetitive
> dribbles beating to death something as utterly irrelevant to Kate's
> music (let's face it guys, The Dreaming is as much a product of passing
> 14 A's with three 1's and 4 B's, but not in the same high school as Evan
> Welsh) as how well she passed her high school exams.

Sorry, this is not rec.music.what.mike.wants.to.hear.about.  This
is rec.music.gaffa.  Claiming that Kate's background is less pertinent
to this group than discussion of other artists is completely absurd.
I can't imagine how you could even begin to support your claim that it
is "utterly irrelevant" to Kate's music.

I trust that Ron Hill will include a full set of quotes from Kate
about school, how Kate felt about it and how it influenced her
development as an artist in his "Cloudbusting" project.  (I can provide
some pointers if you need them, Ron.)   For now, here's just one
example...

| I was a Roman Catholic and brought up in Roman Catholic schools.  I
| would never say I was a stict follower of Roman Catholic belief,but
| a lot of the images are in there; they have to be, they're so strong.
| Such powerful beautiful,passionate images! There's a lot of suffering
| in Roman Catholicism.  I think I'm looking for not necessarily religion,
| but ways of helping myself to become more understanding, more complete,
| a happier person-what we all want in life.  But I really don't think
| I've found a niche.
|                                   --Kate Bush

Do you see the connection between Kate's Roman Catholic schooling and
rec.music.GAFFA?

It was while she was in school that the genuis of Kate Bush first
blossomed.  It has even been said that Kate turned to music as an escape
from school society.  It was in school newspapers that the earliest
hint of that genius was made public.

> (Go ahead, disagree Richard, see if I care.  I won't honour you with
> another response, I promise.)

That suits my "rabid desire to have the last word" just fine.  One
would almost suspect that you were dropping the subject because
you took a position that is completely undefensible.  That tactic
seems to be rapidly gaining in popularity around Chicago.

"Don't drive too slowly."                 Richard Caldwell
                                          AT&T Network Systems
                                          att!cbnews!nrc
                                          nrc@cbnews.att.com