Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-23 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

'not a plain file'--huh?

From: gravende@epas.utoronto.ca (David Gravender)
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 1991 08:53:32 -0800
Subject: 'not a plain file'--huh?
To: Love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu

I need some assistance. Recently I discovered the ftp function, and
armed with that new knowledge attempted to access the archives and/or
get R.Hill's new compendium Cloudbusting and IED's Garden. However,
while I was successful in getting to the point where i could and did
call up the directory of love-hounds files, when i then tapped in the
'get' command (followed by 'archives' as that was one of the two
filenames presented to me, the other being 'kb'), the response was the
cryptic (to me) phrase 'not a plain file.'  I dinna ken this, so could
some one of you helpful and computer-wise lovehounds out there
instruct as to what it is i need to do to actually access the files,
to avoid the 'not a plain file' denial? I seem to recall someone
having complained of this same thing a few weeks ago, and having
received a response--yet the response, so far as i could make out,
while diagnosing the problem failed to provide the critical info, how
to get around it. So if you can help, please do! :)

Also, while i'm here, i would like to sound out the depths of interest
there are in a Toronto-area Katemas party. Any other Ontario katefans
out there? Lemme know--if i remember aright, a Dan Welch has already
made a similar sounding, so Dan, if you're reading, i'm interested
(although lacking most of my cool katestuff, in storage in seattle).
Let's discuss!

'i still dream of Organon'       david <gravende@epas.utoronto.ca>