Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-20 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: MTV raw footage interview

From: ed@wente.llnl.gov (Ed Suranyi)
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1991 08:11:31 -0800
Subject: Re: MTV raw footage interview
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

[From Ron Hill's posting of the unedited MTV interview]

>    85. MTV: Kate is interviewed by J. J. Jackson for the U.S. cable
>rock-video channel.

As you say below, the actual interviewer is NOT J. J. Jackson.  His
voice is entirely different.

>        I: Well that's what everyone around the office is saying, for
>instance, like saying "well she should play Tess the Dervervilles" this
>English classic.  [Kate stiffels a laugh]

That's "Tess of the D'Urbervilles", by Thomas Hardy, of course.

>[K:]  So it was really designing something that was a
>cross between an Akatan [???] gun and a pipe organ.

She used the British term for an anti-aircraft gun, whatever it is.

>[K:]  In fact, the only well filmed piece
>of dance I think I've ever seen was [???? anybody know who she's talking about
>here???] and I think that's because she was so involved in it that it was so
>good.

Kate says, "Twyla Tharp's 'Catherine Wheel'."  It took me a while to
figure this out, too!  "The Catherine Wheel" had music by David Byrne,
and, as Kate says, choreography by Twyla Tharp.

--
Ed Suranyi
ed@wente.llnl.gov  <---- Note new e-mail address