Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-20 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

An Answer (Finally) to a Kate Question

From: turney@cs.cornell.edu (Jenn Turney)
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1991 07:31:09 -0800
Subject: An Answer (Finally) to a Kate Question
To: <love-hounds@HAYES.IMS.ALASKA.EDU>
Expires: Sun, 30 Jun 1991 04:00:00 GMT
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: turney@cs.cornell.edu

Michael Graham asks (and asks and asks):

>Will someone please tell me what:
>
> "be running up that road
>  be running up that hill
>  be running up that building"
>
>means?

Well, Michael, no definitive answer, but I was musing on this the
other day and thinking about the relative slopes of these things
(roads, hills, buildings).  Definitely increasing, from horizontal, to
gradually sloping, to vertical.  A progression of the difficulty of
tasks she could tackle "with no problem" with the capabilities of this
other person that she can't with her own ("if I onlycould").

Jenn
| turney@cs.cornell.edu | Dept of Computer Science | Cornell University |
| I mean, the question actors most often get asked is how they can bear |
| saying the same things over and over again night after night, but God |
| knows the answer to THAT is, don't we all ANYWAY; might as well get	|
| paid for it.					-- Elaine Dundy		|