Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-20 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: MTV raw footage interview

From: gb10@gte.com (Gregory Bossert)
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1991 09:14:12 -0800
Subject: Re: MTV raw footage interview
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu

Ed says:
> [Ron says:]
>
>>[K:]  So it was really designing something that was a
>>cross between an Akatan [???] gun and a pipe organ.
>
>She used the British term for an anti-aircraft gun, whatever it is.

ack-ack gun.  from the noise it makes.

BTW, the designer who had worked on _Alien_ was (as most of you know)
H.R. Giger, a german artist with reclusive habits and a tendency to
use real animal parts in his scultures.  Mr. Giger also designed the
poster that got the Dead Kennedies brought up on obscenity charges...

>>[K:]  In fact, the only well filmed piece
>>of dance I think I've ever seen was [?anybody know who she's talking about
>>here???] and I think that's because she was so involved in it that it was so
>>good.
>
>Kate says, "Twyla Tharp's 'Catherine Wheel'."  It took me a while to
>figure this out, too!  "The Catherine Wheel" had music by David Byrne,
>and, as Kate says, choreography by Twyla Tharp.

the album from "The Catherine Wheel" is a favorite of mine;  IM-never-
very-HO, this is the best work David Byrne ever did.  of course, he is
greatly assisted by Eno, Adrian Belew, David Van Tiegham, etc.  i didn't
know that there was a film -- i'll have to go track it down...

many thanks to Ron and all for the interviews!  i'd love to see an
interview-ography, at least an index for those interviews in the archives;
though maybe i should wait 'til Ron's Cloudbusting project is on line...

footah!
-greg -- gb10@gte.com --
	"a woman drew her long black hair out tight
	 and fiddled whisper music on those strings
	 and bats with baby faces in the violet light
	 whistled, and beat their wings" -- T.S. Eliot