Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-17 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Happy Info (for the uninitiated)

From: Jeff Burka <jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu>
Date: Thu, 23 May 91 17:35:51 -0500
Subject: Re: Happy Info (for the uninitiated)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Angelos asks:

>BTW, the first four albums were made in a short period of time. What happened
>between Ecto and Warpaint? Is Warpaint any different in terms of style?
>More rythmic maybe??

The first four albums were released in a very short period of time, but I
dunno how long it actually took to record them (though I'll admit that
no matter how long it took, the actual recording and mixing was far faster
than most artists even think about...).  I do know that Happy did her first
recording at age 18, and I happen to know that some of those first recordings
made it onto Volume I (including "The Wretches Gone Awry").

As for the period between the first four albums (which were released
in '86 and '87) and  _Warpaint_ in '91, I think there's one main thing
to which the waiting period can be attributed--Happy's desire to do it
up right...  The first four albums were played, recorded (ie she worked
the controls in the studio), and mixed by Happy alone.  She wanted to
have a far higher quality on _Warpaint_, which involved the cost of
hiring musicians, paying for the far-better-quality studio, CD mastering,
proper liner notes, and so on.  The album was put together, song by song,
as Happy could afford it.  It is a much more rhythmic album, with very
little of Happy's acoustic guitar work (the one thing I feel the album is
missing!).

Jeff
--
|Jeffrey C. Burka                |"I've lost my way through this world of |
|jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu   | profanities/I thrive on the wind and   |