Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-13 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Happy Rhodes' CD "Warpaint" - buy it!!

From: L-H@cup.portal.com
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 91 22:35:49 PDT
Subject: Re: Happy Rhodes' CD "Warpaint" - buy it!!

Lee Hounshell writes:

>...  For those of you who have both the tapes and the
>CD, how do they compare??  Are the tapes near as good as the disk?
>Which is your favorite?

Hey, another Happy fan after only 3 days of hearing only _Warpaint_!
CONGRATULATIONS!

I have all of Happy's tapes as well as _Warpaint_.  If by "...how do
they compare??  Are the tapes near as good s the disk?" you're trying
to get an opinion on the songs, the answer is, uh, yes.  HELL YES, to
be more to the point.  You haven't heard them yet, alright! :-)  And
are you in for many, many treats!   There are timeless, priceless
songs on each of Happy's tapes.  I'm listening to _Ecto_ right now, thank
you very much.  If possible, take a look at the archive for more Happy-
related posts from other Katefans; there are many here, and the list grows
more and more.  Love-Hound extraordinaire Vickie Mapes is in fact thanked
by Happy in _Warpaint_'s liner notes, for making so many aware of Happy
to begin with, both here and on her radio program.  Vickie recommends
_Rhodes Vol. 1_ and _Ecto_ as a good place to start on Happy's tapes if
you have budget constraints.  I'm kind of sentimental towards _Rearmament_,
myself.  And _Rhodes Vol. 2_ is also a must-hear which has be intimated
by some as Happy's "weakest" album.  Funny that one of the most beautiful,
heart-wrenching songs ever written ("The Revelation") just so happens to
be on that album.  They don't mean "weak" in the traditional music reviewer's
sense, I'm certain.  It's more like _Vol. 2_ is "great," as opposed to the
others being "wonderful."  My suggestion is to start at the beginning, and
admire the evolution.  The lyrics to "In Hiding" on _Warpaint_ tell it
like it is.  So do each of Happy's four tapes.  Happy really is quite
great.

Don't look for the first four albums to make it to CD in the near future,
though.  Happy and Kevin (Aural Gratification) can't afford it right
now.  It was a struggle just to get _Warpaint_ out on CD.  I have written
to _Goldmine_ asking them to review it, as that is one of the few
publications who would do this for a lesser-known artist.  I encourage
other Happy fans to do the same!

Happy has told me personally that the music on the tapes would not be
released on CD ever.  She said that she had so much more to write, that
those songs are "of the past."  I think in the meantime, other's
discoveries and ravings about these gems has possibly softened this stance.
Maybe a bigger label may want to see this happen; we can only see.  I find
some of Happy's songs to be so personal that I wonder if this will happen,
just for _that_ reason.

Larry (l-h@cup.portal.com)