Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-13 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

B-Sides lyrics/NTT

From: Peter Byrne Manchester <PMANCHESTER@ccmail.sunysb.edu>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1991 23:34 EDT
Subject: B-Sides lyrics/NTT
Cc: pmanchester@ccmail.sunysb.edu

	Larry Hernandez mentioned--and Ed Suranyi quickly put it right--the
version of the line from "Not This Time" printed in _KBComplete_ that uses the
word "ship" for one reason or another.  What I found interesting in Larry's
post of actual lyrics for the B-sides from the JPN BOX was that it confirms the
more general fact, that those lyrics seem likely to have come from either
_KBComplete_ or from wherever IT got them.  And my question is:  anybody know?

	To stay with the particular song "Not This Time," about which there was
some correspondence that I provoked more than a year ago, the thing that
interests me about the line as Larry cites it is not at all just the (totally
obvious and in no way unlikely) actual next-to-last word of the line but the
fact that in other ways it plainly is not a transcription of the performed
lyric.  The whole line is SUNG "To keep me going and to keep the shit away,"
which is in other ways as well from _KBComplete_.

	A question and a project:  Q.  Are we to presume that _KBComplete_ or
JPN BOX have consulted, say, the published sheet music?  Or are their lyrics
too based on "best takes" on an admittedly difficult song?  Project:  in either
case, what lyrics do those of us who are participating in an edition of the
B-sides lyrics want to use?  If (through some consensus) we should agree that
what Novercia published and what Kate sings differ, what do we do?  If, in
fact, it is down to our ears finally, then the potential for extent texts to be
mistaken seems to produce a responsibility.

	Since it is no longer just my own transcription, but benefits from
_KBComplete_ as well as particular corrections from Doug Alan the other year,
and ALSO because 'ship' aside, I can make no sense of the available lyrics
anyway, which seem to differ significantly all over the place from what I hear,
allow me to share my *draft* (please) of the best version I have come up with.
To me, it seems emotionally far more coherent than the printed version--but it
differs in logically consequential ways ('sensitive', not 'insensitive'; 'feel
you', not 'fear you'), and I would value comment.

	D	R	A	F	T

       NOT THIS TIME
       Kate Bush

       Oh with the mind that renders everything sensitive
       What chance do I have to be here
       Put an end, put an end
       Put an end to every dream
       When you're near I feel you
       And I forget myself

       Not this time baby
       Not this time
       Not this time baby

       I dunno why I give in but I do every time
       And here I am a'wondering why I'm doing it again
       Toor-ee-ah Toor-ee-oh
       Toor-ee-ah Toor-ee-oh
       That's what I say
       To keep me going and to keep the shit away
       I don't know what it is
       Every time you're near
       I feel you
       And I forget myself