Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-13 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Hammersmith question, recent Cocteau Twins 12", Diamanda Galas article.

From: aruss@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu (Andrew Russ)
Date: 17 Apr 91 06:27:27 GMT
Subject: Hammersmith question, recent Cocteau Twins 12", Diamanda Galas article.
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

     First, two KaTe questions someone may know the answer to:

	1.  I just got the current Live at the Hammersmith video and it
seems to me that either a) the dance routine for Hammer Horror was shot
later or b) a tape was played for KaTe's vocals.  Can anyone tell me which
is the case?   I don't hear any applause at the end of the song, but i'm not
sure that the video version of the song exactly matches the Lionheart version
either.  Was the actual stage routine for "Hammer Horror" like the video?
At any rate, it had to be a spectacular show.
	2.  Is the version of "December Will Be Magic Again" on the 12"
of "Experiment IV" (US edition) the single version or the album version.  The
time is about 4:55, give or take a few seconds.

	I haven't seen anyone mention it, so for those who are interested,
there's a new (maybe month-old) Cocteau Twins promo-only CD5 and 12" for
"Heaven or Las Vegas." It includes the album version of the song plus an edited
version that's perhaps slightly remixed and truncated, but also includes about
a second of fade-in before where the album version starts.  It's very noticeable
if you've heard the album version enough times.  (It's not unlike the difference
between the album and single versions of Pink Floyd's "Another Brick In the
Wall, Part 2", or for that matter the endings of the single versus album versions
of "Army Dreamers" by KaTe).  Also on the Cocteau Twins ep is a new song called
"Dials", a brief and very impressionistic piece.  It's worth getting if you
see it and it doesn't cost a lot of money (in my case $1.99).

	Those of you into Diamanda Galas may want to check the long article
about her in the April 7 issue of the Washington Post (two Sundays ago).  Page
G1 (the "Show" section).  Apparently she does a lot of volunteering at AIDS
houses and the like, including organizing Christmas shows.  No, she doesn't
try out her newest section of the Plague Mass, she just sings Christmas carols
and the like in a tamer voise.

	And here are my questions on Roy Harper (sort of).  Really obscure
ones:
	1.  The most recent Harper album (and maybe some reissues) were
released on Awareness records.  Is there any relation to the Awareness
records that reissued Charles Manson's album Lie?  (not a recommended
selection--Felton and Fowler's "Best Worst and Most Unusual" call it the
worst album ever made)
	2.  Is the Steve Broughton who plays percussion on most Harper
albums the same Steve Broughton who was in the Angels of Light that played on
Psychic TV's Godstar and Magickal Mystery D Tour ep's?

		If you'd please, email me the answers to any and all these
questions.
			Thanks,

				Andrew Russ