Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: "This Woman's Work" video

From: Jeff Burka <jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 91 21:50:49 -0500
Subject: Re: "This Woman's Work" video
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Judi, our most proflific new poster, writes:

[wrt whether TWW's video is from the man or woman's point of view]

Um.  I dunno.  I've only watched it two or three times (one of the big problems
of not having my own VCR).  To me, it's from the man's point of view--we
experience the man's anguish at watching his loved one collapse, and then
trying to cope with the waiting-room experience.  Perhaps there's a hint of
"Hello Earth" in here--he's just "floating" there in the waiting room, then
he relives the experience that brought him to that point.  But I digress...

>When I consider these lines as one segment by themselves, sometimes I get
>the feeling that she's talking about childbirth. Does anyone else see this?

Bingo!  "This Woman's Work" actually dates from 1988 (or is it '87?  '88 I
think).  It was written for the soundtrack of the John Hughes movie _She's
Having A Baby_ (Kevin Bacon and I don't recall whom else).  The song was
written for...you guessed it!...the sequence during which Kevin Bacon is
in the waiting room and his wife is in the delivery room--he's reliving
their life together through a series of flashbacks, scared to death that
something will happen to her during childbirth.  To be honest, I like the
sequence in the film a *lot* better than the video.  It's stunning.

Sigh.  Looks like it's time to pull out TSW and put on "This Woman's Work."

Jeff
(signing off before he starts bawling)
--
|Jeffrey C. Burka                |"I've lost my way through this world of |
|jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu   | profanities/I thrive on the wind and   |