Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Apologies

From: larry@csccat.cs.com (Larry Spence)
Date: 7 Apr 91 23:28:10 GMT
Subject: Apologies
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <9104062252.AA05735@aristotle.ils.nwu.edu> barger@aristotle.ils.nwu.EDU (actually C&V) writes:

>Yes, Diamanda was truly frightening! Brilliant, scary, sad, angry...like
>nothing else I've ever experienced in my life. Remember when Mt. St. Helens
>blew? Remember the pictures of the trees, stripped and bent over?
>That's what my eardrums felt like! We had the best seats in the house,
>right up front and just a few feet away from her a few times when she
>crawled toward the front of the stage. Terrifying!

She allegedly has a new release, _Plague Mass_ coming out Real Soon Now.
Anyone know if she's planning any live dates for Dallas?  The large gay
population and number of AIDS cases here made her last performance (late
88) especially relevant.  Diamanda could strip the makeup off Kate at
100 meters distance, and I'll bet she does a mean donkey imitation, too. %)

>Re: The Shining. Richard, I didn't see your post. Larry, I saw yours
>but you said that GooMH was based on the movie. Since the book and the
>film are so different, I wanted to clarify that Kate said that the song
>was inspired by (not based on) the _book_ by Stephen King. She said that
>she wanted to get that same sort of claustrophobic terror into a song.

Apologies for the overly-irritable post.  I wasn't aware that the book
was that different.  I should have covered my ass and just said that GOoMH
was based on _The Shining_. %)

Has anyone here heard Skinner box?  There's a short article in the last
Option that made me curious... sounds like potential gaffa material.  It's
only available by mail order, so I'd like to hear some comments before I
send my $.  If it's been discussed before, could someone email me some
info?  Thanx.

--
Larry Spence
larry@csccat.cs.com