Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Made In America

From: kanarick@bbn.com (Craig M. Kanarick)
Date: 2 Apr 91 15:28:37 GMT
Subject: Re: Made In America
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@bbn.com

In article <CE658DE8E000010F@sc.intel.com> AGOUGH%F6ACC2@SC.INTEL.COM ("Andy Gough, x4-2906, pager 420-2284, CH2-59") writes:

>>From: fingerle@NADC.NADC.NAVY.MIL (J. Fingerle)
>>Subject: ranting and raving (but not about her KaTeness)
>>Cc: fingerle@NADC.NADC.NAVY.MIL, pirrung@NADC.NADC.NAVY.MIL

[ A whole bunch of pro-Beatles stuff deleted...]

>>Jimmy                              "When in doubt, bore it out!"
>>fingerle@NADC.NAVY.MIL              -Harley Davidson (circa 1947)
>
>This view is often expressed by Beatles fans.  I've even heard Beatles fans
>say that they "invented" Rock 'n' Roll.
>
>But . . .
>
>1. Bill Haley & The Comets invented Rock 'n' Roll

This doesn't hold water with me.  One could easily argue that all Bill
Haley's producers did was take a bunch of music that Louis Jordan
wrote (also, arguably an inventor of r&r and merely changed the sax
solo into a guitar solo).

In any case, this doesn't take away from Jimmy's original point, which
was the Beatles were inventors of great magnitude.

>2. Elvis Presley was the first superstar of Rock 'n' Roll

So what.  The King hardly pushed the bounds of music.  He did a lot
for live performances, but most of his songs are fairly formulated.
As we have all seen with Milli Vanilli, Vanilla Ice, etc, etc,
superstardom is not the best indicator of talent, foresight,
brilliance, or for that matter, any other quality except popularity.

>So you might consider The Beatles as a follow-on to Elvis, The King.
>
>-andy

She really is,

-- cmk

						"Do I love you?  Yes, I
Craig M. Kanarick             			 love you.  All this talking,
kanarick@bbn.com				 talking, is only bravado..."
						 	- The Blue Nile