Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: random notes

From: Richard Caley <rjc@cstr.ed.ac.uk>
Date: 29 Mar 91 19:13:02 GMT
Subject: Re: random notes
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@aipna.ed.ac.uk

In article <9103281411.aa06573@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us>, jon drukman (jd) writes:

jd> Fix the word "rape" in your mind, then go listen to "Get Out Of My House"
jd> and see if it's any clearer...

Nope, I don't see it...

	This house is full of m-m-my mess
	This house is full of m-m-mistakes
	This house is full of m-m-madness
	This house is full of, full of, full of fight

Heart or mind seems to me to be the object here.

	   I wash the panes
	   I clean the stains away

Crying, but only if we are talking about her mind, or soul if you prefer.

	Man: Woman, let me in
	     Let me bring in the memories
	     Woman, let me in
	     Let me bring in the Devil Dreams

If there is a rape here it is a mental one.

Personally, I don't believe the woman comes off well enough or the man
bad enough for it to be a rape. It looks to me more like a song about
a woman who is trying to forget her past confronted with something or
someone which threightens to bring it back.

--
rjc@cstr.ed.ac.uk		_O_