Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

questions of deification

From: MOONLIT KNIGHT <JDLISS@AMHERST.BITNET>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 91 14:31 EST
Subject: questions of deification

From: jdliss@amherst.bitnet
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Date: 29 Mar 91 14:31:10 GMT
News-Moderator: Approval required for posting to rec.music.gaffa

i myself am not a big kate fan, but the last message there explaining the
attitude towards her struck a chord.  i have felt entirely filled by music, and
felt it to be divine.  it's happened alot to me with gabriel, but i've also
'been there' while listening to "love and anger."

i think it is an issue (it certainly is in my case with gabriel) to not become
too engrossed in the personality.  i think there is a line between appreciation
and worship -- to be appreciated without reservation is the artist's ultimate
aspiration, but to be admired unreservedly could be their nightmare.  while i
think that people shouldn't be ashamed about having powerful reactions to
music, an extreme admiration is always a possibility when you're really into
someone's work, and we should be careful.

jeff