Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Why Deify Kate? (well, why not?)

From: stevev@greylady.uoregon.edu (Steve VanDevender)
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 91 19:21:49 PST
Subject: Why Deify Kate? (well, why not?)

Dave Neff asks why so many people here deify Kate Bush, and goes
on to say a few things that will probably get IED to calling for
his smelling salts again.

Certainly, I doubt I am capable of going so far as to claim Kate
as my religion, but then again I'm a dedicated atheist.  However,
there are a variety of reasons for the almost cloying amount of
devotion seen here.

First and foremost, the Love-Hounds mailing list attracts the
creme-de-la-creme of Kate Bush fans.  The people who are most
dediKaTed are the ones most likely to post.  People who think of
Kate Bush as just another artist may read this group for
amusement or ignore it entirely.

Second, it is to a certain degree KonvenTional to speak of Kate
Bush in highly elevated terms here, often in exaggeration of
one's realistic level of devotion.

Finally, Kate is the greatest singer/songwriter/composer who has
ever lived, so why shouldn't we deify her?  :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Ahem.  There certainly may be something in Kate being very
attractive that causes an unusual level of interest from male
fans.  Notice, though, that female fans are pretty evenly
represented here, especially considering how male-dominated
computer user tends to be.  For me, much of the attraction lies
in that unlike most performers of any sort, Kate is intelligent
and reserved while also extremely good at portraying complex
emotion and femininity.  I don't admire Kate because she's really
cute--I admire her because she's a musical genius _and_
incredibly cute as a major side benefit.  I also can't seem to
stop listening to Kate or get tired of her material--like many
people here, I seem to be the sort with a few well-played albums
instead of a large collection of rarely-played stuff.

I mean really, _The Kick Inside_ has to have some of the best
make-out music ever written.  (Will I get flamed for this
statement?  Tune into tomorrow's edition of _Love-Hounds Digest_
. . . )

Steve VanDevender 	stevev@greylady.uoregon.edu
"Bipedalism--an unrecognized disease affecting over 99% of the population.
Symptoms include lack of traffic sense, slow rate of travel, and the
classic, easily recognized behavior known as walking."