Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Deify Kate Bush?

From: Peter Byrne Manchester <PMANCHESTER@ccmail.sunysb.edu>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1991 00:18 EST
Subject: Re: Deify Kate Bush?

>I just don't get it ...

writes Dave Neff in a post entitled "Why Deify Kate?"

>In this newsgroup it seems that Kate is more than a mortal, she is a
>venerated deity.  People testify of "how they found Kate" as if she
>were some sort of religious conversion.

       First part wrong (or at least I so recommend); second part, pretty
close!  Since mine was among the testimonials he perhaps is reacting to--and I
do after all call her "God's sister"!--perhaps I might try a little
clarification.  Not to mix business with pleasure, it happens that theology is
the field I work, teach, and write in.

       There IS a tradition in this group in which from time to time someone
seized by admiring enthusiasm will state outright, "Kate Bush is God!"  More
common is an oblique invocation of this flagrant piece of heresy, the phrase
"She really is...", shared as a kind of "insider's" secret.  I suspect that
nearly all of the time, if the proposition were stared down in the cold light
of day, its subscribers would admit that it is hyperbole.  If I had to comment
on the whole phenomenon at a professional conference (I promise not to!), I
would probably surmise that a lot of the time, the hidden message is "there is
no God" (or at least an "In your face!" to now-scorned modes of piety).  There
would be a whole riff one could do, that the theological establishment would
eat right up, about how this is evidence that 'loss of faith' leaves this
generation with a spiritual hole that needs filling, blah blah blah.

       That kind of party line would be completely wrong, in my view, because
my take on the many of us in this group (and the many others I know outside
it) whose devotion to Kate gravitates toward such sentiments is that we have
NEVER lost capacity for faith--just any hope for a worthy object of it.  There
is a lot to be said in defense of Dave's summation that discovering Kate was
like a religious conversion for us:  it wasn't just coming to like HER, it was
discovering that the world and life itself were better than we had been
assuming.  Lots of individual variation there, of course:  one discovers in
oneself an unexpected capacity to be deeply moved by art; or one discovers
that the water CAN rise again in the long-dry well of old and lost enthusiasm;
or a particular lyric, or tune, or emotion can seem to have been sung or
directed uniquely and privately for oneself, evoking a sense of wonder at the
intimacy of human communication.

>Is there something about Kate being a woman (and an attractive one at
>that) which adds to this tendancy of some (generally men may I add) who
>venerate her person and material?  I just don't get it ...

       Thing is, I know several women personally whose sense of discovery with
Kate is little different from my own.  I especially remember one saying, about
a song on "Never for Ever," that when she heard it she was SURE that it had
been written and sung for her alone.  New love-hound Judi is as effusive as
any of us, and is far from alone.  If there is something in her being female
that is relevant (I expect there is), it is certainly not at the level of
simple attractiveness--Kate doesn't work that way.  Being female--a daughter,
a sister, a woman--is a resource for her in her search for concrete human
experience to draw from, but not the only one:  she has not only regularly
sought to take a male point of view, but even explored the reciprocity that
makes this possible ("Running up that Hill").  Physical attractiveness is
among tools for her work in dance and mime.  It's always the work we are
responding to.

       For all these reasons, I myself maintain that KB is God's sister--by
which I do NOT mean to deify her, since it is precisely in her humanity that I
have learned something from her about the divine.  I tried to bring this out
in the last line of my letter to her, "Your aspiration is a kind of prayer."
I don't know whether there is a God, or what 'is' is supposed to mean in such
statements, but I do know something about what prayer would be if I were
capable of it, and I very much admire anyone who helps me think I might be.
"We humans got it all, we perform the miracles." ("Them Heavy People").  This
is straight out of every authentic spiritual tradition--Meister Eckhart comes
to mind for a start.

       IMHO, I don't think any of us are deifying Kate Bush.  But I think we
HAVE felt some shadow of whatever 'the divine' might be in the intimacy and
communion and reciprocity we have come to feel with her, as performer and
audience, once we learned to hear her and trust her.
                                                            Peter Manchester
"C'mon, we all sing!"                            pmanches@sbccmail  (BITNET)
                                   pmanchester@ccmail.sunysb.edu  (INTERNET)