Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: pictures from "This Woman's Work" boxed set.

From: Jeff Burka <jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 91 17:38:38 -0500
Subject: Re: pictures from "This Woman's Work" boxed set.
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

heath writes:

>p. 11: Kate's outside sitting on a rocky perch, holding a
>       set of bagpipes.  (I think they're bagpipes.  The
>       wind sack in under her left elbows.)  The wind has
>       blown her hair around.

Actually, they're uillean pipes.

Uillean pipes don't really have windbag in quite the same way that bagpipes
do.  "Uillean" translates to elbow--there is a billow with strap that is
put around one's arm.  To get the air moving through the pipes, you just
move your elbow up/down (or is that in/out?  Whatever... ;-).  The most
obvious advantage to this is that the player can sing whilst playing.

Assuming I've remembered everything correctly, this is info is taken from
a description of the instrument given by Paddy Moloney at a Chieftains
concert I went to a few years ago...in fact, it was the same month I
bought my first KaTe album.

>p. 13: Two pictures:

>       (right) Kate's wearing a furry-lined bomber jacket, and
>       she's sitting on a cot (?) singing into a microphone.
>       Laying on the cot is an olive-skinned guy, looking off.
>       There are several red wires in the right side of the photo.
>       OK, I'm stumped.

This is from the "Oh England, My Lionheart" sequence of the Tour of Life.

Jeff

--
|Jeffrey C. Burka                |"I've lost my way through this world of |
|jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu   | profanities/I thrive on the wind and   |