Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

pictures from "This Woman's Work" boxed set.

From: "Heath (703)552-3177" <HART@vtmath.math.vt.edu>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1991 11:12 EST
Subject: pictures from "This Woman's Work" boxed set.

Last week, someone asked about the pictures in the "This Woman's Work"
boxed set.  I'm sorry it's taken me so long to get back on this, but
here they are:  (By the way, this is from the CD set; I assume the
LP set has the same [but bigger *sigh*] pictures.)

 p. 1: Kate has white makeup all over her face and *lots* of
       dark eyeshadow.  She's wearing a black sleeveless dress
       with the strap over the right shoulder twisted.
       The picture only shows from the chest up.  This may have
       been from a video, but I'm not sure which one.
 p. 2: This is a picture from The Kick Inside.  Kate's wearing
       blue jeans and red red stockings and sitting in a small
       wooden box.
 p. 3: This one's strange.  Kate's got her hair pulled back and
       lying down with a piece of sheer brown material covering
       her entirely.  The material ripples and seems to "swirl"
       about her.
 p. 4: I've seen this one before, but I can't remember where.
       Kate's facing 1/4 to her right, with a beautiful purple
       and gold scarf around her neck and matching make-up.
       The expression on her face is incredible, a kind of
       somber longing.  It's a sad picture but really well done.
 p. 5: This is a picture from Babooshka.  Kate's in black tights
       with a veil over her face and she's leaning against an
       upright bass violin.
 p. 6: This is a picture from Cloudbusting.  Kate's got her
       hair cropped short and is standing against the weather
       machine.
 p. 7: A shoulders-up photo (bare shoulders, though) -- Kate's
       wearing this 40's-ish black hat with a thin-mesh veil and
       sequins all over it and feathers.  The hat is pulled over
       her right eye.
 p. 8: I'd never seen this picture before, but if I had to guess
       it might be from "There Goes a Tenner".  It's a very
       dark picture.  Kate has a trenchcoat draped over her
       right shoulder.  Her left arm is bare and is reaching
       across as if to conceal a gun under the trenchcoat.
 p. 9: If you've seen the "Passing Through Air" bootleg, it's
       the same picture on the cover of that.  Kate's standing
       about 1/3-left, but facing forwards.  She's wearing a
       black sleeveless shirt (again), a chain around her neck,
       and a black pillbox hat with gold leafing on it and a
       tassle.  This is against a yellowish background that
       looks like very out-of-focus leaves or something similar.
p. 10: Kate has really long hair in this photo.  Her left hand
       is on top of her head, and her right hand is on the side
       of her head.  She's pouting a little.  Behind her is a
       translucent window; outside are trees.  It's daylight,
       but it may well be raining outside.
p. 11: Kate's outside sitting on a rocky perch, holding a
       set of bagpipes.  (I think they're bagpipes.  The
       wind sack in under her left elbows.)  The wind has
       blown her hair around.
p. 12: Two pictures:
       (top) This is from Experiment IV.  It's Kate as the
       "nymph"/"angel", just before everything turns ugly.
       (bottom) Okay, maybe _this_ one's from "There Goes a
       Tenner."  Kate's wearing a leather jacket, and she's
       flanked by two guys also dressed in black.  Her hair's
       a little greasy, she's wearing black eye-liner and rouge,
       and her mouth is open like an "O", but defiant-looking.
p. 13: Two pictures:
       (left) This is from The Big Sky.  Near the end.  Kate's
       looking up and all these pilots and astronauts are
       looking up with her.
       (right) Kate's wearing a furry-lined bomber jacket, and
       she's sitting on a cot (?) singing into a microphone.
       Laying on the cot is an olive-skinned guy, looking off.
       There are several red wires in the right side of the photo.
       OK, I'm stumped.
p. 14: Kate's standing with one foot on a stool.  She's wearing
       leather boots, and holding a hat in her right hand.
       She's wearing almost no makeup, and while that's a
       refreshing change, she looks kind of washed out under the
       camera lights.
p. 15: This is from Running Up That Hill.  She's dancing with a
       guy; they're both dressed in grey.  They're facing away
       from us, with arms outstretched.  They're also quite some
       distance away from the camera.
p. 16: Kate's sitting in a Chippendale-ish chair, in a bright
       red robe.  Her left elbow is on the arm rest, and her
       chin is in her left hand.
p. 17: Kate's standing against a yellow brick wall, with her
       hands clasped against her heart.  She's wearing a black
       shoulderless dress, and sunlight is shining in from the
       right, casting a long shadow on the left side of the photo.
p. 18: Kate's dressed in dark grey velveteen, and is kneeling.
       The floor and the wall are both speckled grey, and blend
       so well that I can't tell where the corner is.
p. 19: This is from The Kick Inside.  Kate's wearing that low-cut
       pink leotard.  Not one of my favorite photos.
p. 20: This is a full color print of the cover from The Dreaming.
p. 21: Kate's standing with her arms out from her side in an elegant
       white gown, lit from behind, so you can see through the sleeves.
p. 22: Kate has a red bow in her hair and is wearing a kimono.
       She's kneeling as if in meditation against the same
       grey background in the picture on p. 18.  She's wearing little
       makeup again, but this photo looks better.
p. 23: Kate's bending over in a field.   It's dusk, and the sky is
       a great shade of blue.  Kate's wearing a black and goldenrod
       dress and a green shawl over her head.  This is one of the
       best-colored photos in the book.
p. 24: Three pictures of Kate superimposed.  They're at 1/2-right,
       front, 1/2-left.  In the 1/2 right image, she's looking up,
       and holding her arms up, as if receiving something from the
       sky.  In the 1/2 left image, she's handing it downwards
       towards something else.  _Very_ ethereal looking.

I hope this is a start towards what you wanted.  They say a
picture is worth a thousand words, but dammit, these are pictures
of *KATE*, and ten thousand words still wouldn't do them justice.

__Heath