Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

First EnKounTer

From: JONES@RPIECS.BITNET
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 91 09:46:47 EST
Subject: First EnKounTer

Hello there fellow Love-Hounds--
  Since a lot of you folks are chipping in your two cents' worth about
how you came to know and love Kate, I have my own humble story.  I
was a freshman in college at the time, being tucked 'way up North in
the little town of Potsdam, NY, in the fall of '79.  All the local
radio stations played the typical Top 40 drivel, so I listened to
CHEZ106 out of Ottawa.  I distinctly remember my first encounter
with Kate, when the strains of "Wuthering Heights" met my inquisitive
ear.  I also distinctly remember thinking to myself "What an odd
voice", but the melody or something in general really struck me as
being neat.  DJs at CHEZ106 seemed to like her a lot; "Wuthering
Heights" was a favorite at the time, and as the years went by I came
to know and love songs such as "Breathing", "Army Dreamers", and later,
most of the stuff from The Dreaming.  As luck would have it, a guy
who worked with my dad was a huge Kate fan, and lent me some of her
records which I had heretofore been rather relectant to buy.  That was
it.  I was hooked.  In perusing some of the bargain-bin-type record
list this guy gave to my dad, I went through and ordered all of Kate's
available albums at dirt-cheap prices (we're talking a couple bucks each,
and I got The Single File boxed set for an unheard-of $19.99...yes,
you heard me right).  At any rate, the rest of the story is history.
Since my humble beginnings back in '79, I've gone on to collect lots
of Kate's albums, bootlegs, CDs, posters, books, magazines, and videos.
I've even been lucky enough to write an article about her and get it
published.  And at the rate things are going, I can't foresee that things
are likely to change.  Kate is a wonderful and rare performer who I
enjoy immensely and respect deeply.
  And it's nice to know that there are all you Love-Hounds there who can
share that same thought.

                                        Big woofs,
                                           Deb Wentorf