Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

"Squeaky" KaTe?

From: DREAMING@U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 91 15:47 PST
Subject: "Squeaky" KaTe?
Sender: DREAMING@MAX.U.WASHINGTON.EDU

On my way to somewhere else i dropped by the seattle u-district Tower Records
(checking for the next issue of Homeground, if you must know) latching onto
a copy of their instore publication _Pulse_ magazine on my way out.  Was
nonplussed to discover the Bulgarian Women's Chorus ("pop music's most
unlikely sensation") featured on the front cover.  Their appearance (that
is, of the Trio Bulgarka) with Our KaTe on TSW was noted, p. 74.

in the NEWSLINES from the Recording Centers of the World" section of the same
magazine, i read the following:

	Fresh from a successful European tour and his first U.S. Top 40
	single, "Candy" (a duet with Kate Pierson of the B-52's), Iggy
	Pop comes to town [New York] this month to sing the role of Vincent
	Bugliosi (the prosecuting attorney of the Charles Manson "family"
	mass-murderers who later wrote the best-selling book _Helter Skelter_
	based on that experience) in the recording of wunderkind composer
	John Moran's controversial new opera, _The Manson Family_.

	"The part required a theatrical, almost sarcastic baritone with a
	lot of pop influence," related Moran, 25, on his casting of Pop,
	who, as Bugliosi, will sing two solo pieces and a duet with Manson
	disciple Lynette "Squeaky" Fromme (who attempted to assassinate
	President Ford in '75).  At presstime Squeaky was still to be cast,
	although Moran mentioned _KaTe Bush_ and Lene Lovich as possibilities.

I know Tower's _Pulse_ magazine is hardly reliable source material, but does
anybody know what is the nature of the "possibility" of KaTe's appearing?
Does she even know she's a "possibility"?  or is this just another like the
spurious KaTe-as-CaThy in the expected _Wuthering Heights_ remake?  I reckon
that since the performance of the opera is to be "this month", i.e. April (?)
KaTe's not still to be sought out for persuading, eh?

Is there anything to this?  Or should i ignore _Pulse_magazine utterly in
the future (really, i only scan it for the chance i might see our Heroine's
name in print.)

dreamtime,

dreaming@max.u.washington.edu         (Kim Richardson)