Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Finding Kate

From: golden@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Stephen "Shadow" Golden)
Date: 20 Mar 91 23:03:39 GMT
Subject: Finding Kate
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@noc2.dccs.upenn.edu

About a year ago Kate was #1 on the College charts.  I had never heard
of her.  I really had no interest in her.  But, after noticing that
she had her own newsgroup I became real curious.  Right before
I went on spring break, I stopped in Sam Goody and noticed her album
 (TSW) was on sale.  I had never bought anything before without knowing at
least one song on it.  I decided to give it a chance.  I brought
it home with me, and I just did't care for it.  About one month later,
I was studying and I wanted to put some music on.  I thought I'd
give it another chance.  No response.  A couple weeks later I tried again.
This time, I read some of the lyrics as I listened.  Suddenly "Deeper
Understanding" became very appealing.  I started listening to the one song
many times.  I'd usually give "Between A Man and a Woman" a chance, but
it still didn't do it for me.  Well, I brought the tape home that
summer and by then I was in love with the whole album.  I went to
a store near me and bought Lionheart.  After one listen I decided, I
must have bought the wrong album.  This didn't sound the same as the
Kate Bush on TSW.  Naturally, I didn't like it.  After four listenings
I couldn't stop playing it.  My tape player was on non-stop
Lionheart and TSW.  Then I saw an old article on Kate in Rolling Stone.
They specifically named Lionheart as her worst album.  I was shocked, so
I bought yet another.
     By the end of the summer I owned HoL (The Best) and TKI.  I didn't
want to get too much Kate too fast, for I didn't want to run out of
material.  I started reading Gaffa when school started again, and
here I saw everyone raving about The Dreaming.  So, I avoided it.
Instead, I bought Never For Ever, which I couldn't really appreciate.
I saw The Whole Story video collection, and Army Dreamers and Breathing
just knocked me out.  Suddenly I discovered the real value in my tape.
I finally gave in and bought The Dreaming, and actually loved it on
my first listening.  I have a strange taste in music, so no one I
know believes me that Kate is awesome.  Well I guess I'm now a
big Kate fan, but no where near most of you Big League fans. I
don't know where to find a bootleg, and certainly can't afford
a boxed set.  But one day I shall...

-- Stephen Golden
golden@eniac.seas.upenn.edu

--
"Oh come on, you've got to use your flow.
 You know what it's like, and you know you want to go.