Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Defending the Orthodoxy

From: "Andy Gough, x4-2906, pager 420-2284, CH2-59" <AGOUGH%FAB6@sc.intel.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1991 14:58 PST
Subject: Defending the Orthodoxy

>Date: Mon, 18 Mar 91 17:33:21 -0500
>From: Jeff Burka <jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu>
>Subject: Re: This heresy must end!
>Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
>
>andy writes:
>
>>This heresy has to end right now.  "The Dreaming" is the best album (as |>oug
>>will attest).  In fact, "The Dreaming" is the ** ONLY ** album that exists.
>>Its existence denies the reality of all others.
>
>The above three sentences are all true, except for one minor detail.  Andy
>seems to have mistakenly typed "the dreaming" when he *meant* to type _Hounds
>of Love_.  A slight oversight, I'm sure.
>
>Jeff
>

>--
>|Jeffrey C. Burka                |"I've lost my way through this world of |
>|jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu   | profanities/I thrive on the wind and   |
>|jburka@amber.ucs.indiana.edu    | the rain and the cold."  --Happy Rhodes|

>From: halley!tzone!dwelch@cs.utexas.edu (Dan Welch)
>Subject: heresy, smeresy, _Hounds_ rules
>Date: Mon, 18 Mar 91 15:56:05 CST
>

>In article <A19A5C3000004B9A@sc.intel.com> AGOUGH%FAB6@SC.INTEL.COM writes:
>>
>>This heresy has to end right now.  "The Dreaming" is the best album (as |>oug
>>will attest).  In fact, "The Dreaming" is the ** ONLY ** album that exists.
>>Its existence denies the reality of all others.
>>
>>-andy
>
>Sorry, Andy, have to disagree here . . . HoL is the best.  Kate's voice is
>better, and the scope of her vision is breath-taking, to say the least.  TD
>is virtually without flaw, but the one it does suffer from is that the whole
>is only slightly more than the sum of the parts.  HoL, on the other hand,
>may be viewed (as an album) on so many different levels (a collection of
>songs, a story, an allegory, dream-sequence, etc.) that as a work of art
>it cannot be approached.
>
>Does anybody else suffer from the syndrome that, once HoL is played, you
>have to shut off the stereo?  Because, after all, what would you play next?

You greenhorns need to learn to be patient.  "The Dreaming" is not for
beginers.  You need to work up to it, so that one can appreciate all of the
subtle nuances of The Album.

"The Dreaming" is easily the most creative of Kate's work.  Suspended in Gaffa,
Pull Out The Pin, Leave It Open, Night of the Swallow, Houdini, Get Out of My
House--you would dare compare anything to these?

I have heard some people claim that other albums exist (by Kate and other
artists), but after careful study I have come to the conclusion that they
are mistaken.