Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Misc + Q

From: nbc@inf.rl.ac.uk
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 91 18:17:13 GMT-0:00
Subject: Misc + Q

Just catching up with some of the recent posts:

>From: Andrew B Marvick <abm4@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu>
>Subject: Hi, Love-Hounds, he's back!

>   IED has still not found that _Passing_Through_Air_ CD (the one
>said to have more of the "Cathy" demos re-issue begun on _If_You_Could_
>See_Me_Fly_ CD). If anyone has current information on its
>availability, your help would be greatly appreciated.

I bought my copy back in Nov or Dec at the local (Oxford) record fair.
As Oxford is not exactly the music centre of the uK this suggests it was
readily available in the uK but I have no info. on where it might be
found in the US. I did go to anothe fair in January and did not notice
any more copies around - but then again I did not have time to check all
the stalls.

>From: Doug Alan <nessus@mit.edu>
>Subject: A Farewell to Pseudo-moderators
>Unfortunately, I will not be as
>well-connected to the Internet at Hitachi, and, therefore, I will not
>be able to continue as the pseudo-moderator of Love-Hounds and
>rec.music.gaffa, though I will be able to continue membership as a
>normal subscriber.

Many thanks to |>oug for his stirling efforts over the years and I
look forward to reading his contributions in the future.

>so I hope you will all give a big round of applause for you new humble
>puseudo-moderator, Bill Wisner (wisner@ims.alaska.edu), who will be
>running the mailing list and newsgroup all the way from sunny, tropical Alaska

(clap, clap, ...) Thanks too to Bill for taking on this task. Does wet string
really run all the way out to Alaska :-)

>From: ed@das.llnl.gov (Edward Suranyi)
>Subject: Re: KaTe is banned.
>>I kid you not. KaTe has been banned here in the UK. Or to be more
>>specific Army Dreamers has been placed on the official list of
>>songs/films which are considered inappropriate for public broadcasting.
>
>Someone in the UK can give specifics, but my understanding is that
>these songs have not been banned, exactly.  Rather, the BBC has come
>up with a list of songs that they think are innappropriate right
>after Persian Gulf War news, so they are recommending that these
>songs not be played then.  I don't know how strenous this
>"recommendation" is, nor do I know if this recommendation holds
>only for songs played immediately after war news.  I hope someone
>will enlighten me.

I think the term "ban" is too strong and Ed's interpretation is right.
Ironically, I heard an interview on the BBC with someone who is a DJ
on some forces network broadcasting out in the Gulf. Apparently the
two most popular requests from the squaddies are "War" by Edwin Starr
and "Eve of Destruction" by Barry McGuire. This was put down to the
rather black sense of humour of the soldiers who request the songs for
their mates.

There is a brief mention of Kate in the March issue of Q magazine
in their stories pages.
  "Looping the flange-masking in British studios recently: ...
  Kate Bush (vocal overdub for LP track) ..."

Sounds promising.

	Neil
--
Neil Calton                          UUCP:   ..!mcsun!ukc!rlinf!nbc
Informatics Department,              NSFNET: nbc%inf.rl.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk