Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

female singers (besides Her KaTeness)

From: halley!tzone!dwelch@cs.utexas.edu (Dan Welch)
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 91 15:28:49 CST
Subject: female singers (besides Her KaTeness)
Cc: tzone!dwelch@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Dan Welch)

I am making a series of tapes consisting entirely of my favorite
female singers.  Of course KaTe has dominated each tape so far
(I've made four), having at least four songs on each, but the mood
that I am trying to achieve on the fifth doesn't really fit her
as much.  The question is, does anybody have a female singer who
is a favorite that I might not have heard?

I much prefer female singers to male -- the differences in vocalization
and expressiveness, and all that.  The following is a list of all singers
and groups that I know and love, done from memory so that I'm not sure
that it's complete.  If anyone sees an obvious hole, let me know.

Blondie
Book of Love
KaTe
Danielle Dax
Eurythmics
Fleetwood Mac
Aretha Franklin
Ofra Haza
Heart
Sara Hickman
Alison Moyet
New Bohemians
the Pretenders
Sade
Siouxsie and the Banshees
Angela Strehli
the Sugarcubes
Tahra
10,000 Maniacs
Throwing Muses
Claire Torrey
T'Pau
Akiko Yano
Yaz

Ones not on the list, and not by accident:

Cowboy Junkies
Basia
the Sundays
Wilson Phillips
Mariah Carey
Celine Dion
Whitney Houston
Sinead O'Conner
Tracy Chapman
Nancy Griffith
Suzanne Vega
Laurie Anderson
anyone even vaguely Madonna-esque

People I would like to know about:

Blake Babies
Middle- and Far-eastern singers

Any and all help/advice would be appreciated.  If anyone else likes
this idea, I will e-mail them a list of the first four tapes (each one
was crafted evoke a certain mood or series of emotions).

| Daniel Welch		|  Tylczak's Probability Principle:		   |
| Tandem Computers	|	"Random events tend to occur in groups."   |