Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Happy Rhodes

From: jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 91 09:42:19 EST
Subject: Happy Rhodes

Hmmm.  I posted this a few days ago and it never showed up (that I saw),
so let's try again...  If any of you are suffering through it again, my
apologies are tendered.

----------------2/4/91-------------

<grin>

Charlotte Stern just posted some comments on Happy Rhodes, which I find
humorous, as I just logged into with the express purpose of posting on
the same subject.

Vicki:  thankythankyouthankyouthankyou.  I know I've said that to you before,
especially wrt Happy (I was one of the luckies early enough on the SiG - 118
mailing to get copies).  I finally got around to ordering the four Happy
Rhodes tapes from AG, and they've just arrived!

To anyone familliar with Happy:

a) the leaflets credit Happy with the cover art.  One of the photos looks
like it may just be a massively unfocused close-up of a face.  The other
three appear to be paintings.  Am I to assume that Happy is a visual artist
as well--did she paint these?  (I particularly like the _Vol. I_ cover)

b) Piffle.  The insert to my copy of _Rearmament_, despite saying _Rearmament)
on the cover and having the correct cover art, has the paste-in from _Vol. I_,
which means I have no idea what the names of the songs are!  Could someone
please send me a track list for this?

c) Has anybody ever taken the time to transcribe any of the lyrics?  Over
the summer I did "Don't Want to Hear It" (there were a couple of words I
couldn't figure) and "Ode" and I think I may have done another one or
two.

Charlotte:  Agreed, there are times that Happy's synth has a little well, I
guess it might be called casio-tone. Sure, the Fairlight is a great machine,
but it's bloody expensive.  And if nothing else, the lower quality of the
synth emphasizes the beauty of Happy's voice.  Speaking of her voice,
I have friends who say that they can't distinguish KaTe's and Happy's high
ends.  I think they're fairly distinct, but the similarity can get scary at
times.

|3ill:  Thanks for taking over the mailing list/pseudo-moderation job!  A
few days ago I was trying to figure out what we could use as a nifty
first-letter for your name, and came up with what everyone else seems to
have come up with...  In any event, thanks again!

For those interested:  Kevin Bartlett included a short note with my tapes,
apologizing for the delay in sending them to me.  He also mentioned, in
said note, that Happy and he would be in Boston on 1/24 to master the CD of
"Warpaint," Happy's new album.  Hopefully this means it'll be out RSN.

For those not interested:  You should be.  Happy Rhodes is not to be missed.
I know it's been posted before, but, hell, another testimonial won't hurt.
The address to order the tapes is:

	Aural Gratification
	Box 8658 Academy Station
	Albany, NY  12208

The four albums (_Rhodes Volumes I and II_, _Rearmament_, and _Ecto_) are
$9.95 each, postage is 1.50; add 7% sales tax if you're in NY.

Jeff

|Jeffrey C. Burka                | "At night they're seen                 |
|jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu   |  Laughing, loving, 	                  |
|jburka@amber.ucs.indiana.edu    |  They know the way to be happy" --KaTe |