Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

A Critic Looks at Kate's Videos ...

From: neff@hp-vcd.vcd.hp.com (Dave Neff)
Date: 1 Feb 91 01:06:46 GMT
Subject: A Critic Looks at Kate's Videos ...
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Recently there have been some postings about some of Kate's videos being
re-released.  About a year ago I bought a book called "The Laser Video Disc
Companion" by Douglas Pratt (author of "The Laser Disc Newsletter).  It
turns out that a couple of Kate Bush discs were/are available as Japanese
imports (older pressings, no digital sound).  I thought some might be
interested in Douglas Pratt's review of the videos.  His comments would
apply equally to the VHS videos and the laser discs.  I do hope the
videos are re-released in the U.S. with digital sound as I generally
just avoid analog discs -- Kate or no Kate.  Anyway, some might be
interested in the reviews so that you can write nasty letters to Mr.
Pratt :-).

------------------------

Kate Bush -- The Single File (Import)
Kate Bush Live at Hammersmith Odeon (Import)

Kate Bush sings as if someone had just dropped an ice cube down the back
of her dress and she didn't want anyone to know.  Two hour-long Kate Bush
laser discs are available in Japan, "Kate Bush Live at Hammersmith Odeon"
and "Kate Bush -- The Single File".

"The Single File" is supposedly a collection of 'music videos' though you
have to get through half the disc before the numbers become more than just
Kate Bush standing in front of a gauzy lens in a weirdo outfit, singing.
There is one satisfying video, "Babooshka", in which she dances with a bass
fiddle, but, other than that, there aren't enough to fill a poor 8-inch
let alone a decent 12.  On one, the recording is "live" (there's clapping)
while the video is of Bush alone in a room.  Dishonest.

"Live at the Hamersmith Odeon" is even less satisfying, since she
doesn't do "Babooshka" (the discs only share three numbers) and there
are no pieces which stand out.  Bush has a microphone suspended in front
of her mouth like an orthodontal retainer and generally goes through the
same costume changes and exaggerated movements ('choreography') that
she did on her videos.

Oh well, don't be too hard on Douglas Pratt.  After all, he is
a critic, and he can't be all bad since he liked "Babooshka". :-).  You
must admit, some of Kate's early albums were a bit "shrill".  I find
Kate's voice on "The Kick Inside" to be somewhat shrill, yet I do
find it to be an excellent album.  I prefer her lower voice that
she has used on "Hounds of Love" and "The Sensual World".

Anyway, I got a kick out of the review and thought a few people might
like to know that there might be a possibility of getting some of Kate's
videos on laser disc with some effort.  However I will hope for a new
U.S. release with digital sound and not try to track down the imports.
I don't know if the Japanese imports are still in print or not.

Dave Neff  (Not a Kate Fanatic, but I do like her stuff)
neff@hpvcfs1.HP.COM