Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Crash Vegas

From: woiccare@pebbles.sct.clarkson.edu
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 91 14:40:17 EST
Subject: Re: Crash Vegas
Sender: woiccare@pebbles.sct.clarkson.edu

Amy L. Edelman sez:
> I just got this great cd called "Red Earth" by Crash Vegas.  The vocalist
> sounds a bit like Suzanne Vega with more of a rough edge to her voice,

actually, i think she - michelle mcadorey is her name - sounds more like
the singer for the housemartins and the beautiful south actually (which is
a bit strange i know, but... :)

the lyrics are great too.

> but the music is more like melodic Cure.

i must disagree here. almost vehemently. :) they are essentially rock, with
a nice twang to them. nothing like the acid-induced pop of the cure. sorry.
for comparison's sake, take either mazzy star or the cowboy junkies and
beef up their sound a bit. i know that's real rough, but it'll do for start-
ers. like the jody grind at times too (another great band btw).

> I recommend the CD though I
> must admit the music is a bit frustrating:  A bit too calm to jump around
> and dance to, A bit too rowdy to just sit and listen to.

hmmm. i saw them earlier in the fall and found it quite easy to dance too.

then again, i was shell programming last night while listening to them.

in any event, i share your recommendation!

> I don't know much more about this group.  I would appreciate any more info.

canadian band. the bassist is the sister of daniel lanois who has a great
album out called _arcadie_ (there's a accent on one of those letters). i
think they are from quebec, but i could be wrong (at least hte bassist is).
i'm also pretty sure that this is their only release.

woj