Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-29 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

London Info for Konvention goers

From: smith@pyrite.som.cwru.edu (Phil Smyth)
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 90 03:40:11 GMT
Subject: London Info for Konvention goers
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@usenet.ins.cwru.edu

Here's as much information that I could
find for myself in preparation for my London trip.

Besides posting this to rec.music.gaffa, I'm mailing
it directly to many of you that I have addresses for
and that I know are planning on going to the Konvention.
Aside to Vicki: I know you have gotten my mail as you
have me on your list (haven't seen a recent update),
but haven't seen any mail back from you.
Send any replies here: smith@pyrite.som.cwru.edu, smith@skybridge.scl.cwru.edu
and smith@ncoast.ORG. I should receive it at one of those addresses.
Much information came from (patrick jost) jost@alice.coyote.trw.com
whose help is greatly appreciated.

Although there is very little time left additional info
can be obtained for the British Tourist Authority:
offices in Chicago (312)787-0490, Dallas (214)720-4040,
Los Angeles (213)628-3525, New York (212)581-4700.
U. S. Customs has a brochure titled 'Know Before You Go'.
One important item I found in it was about foreign made
personal property. You must be able to prove that you owned
prior to departure from the US or those items will be subject
to duty. One option is to register those items at Customs
office before departure. For those you who are American Express
cardholders, obtain from them a booklet titled 'American
Express Traveler's Companion'.
For those of you concerned about jet lag there is a simple
diet called the Anti-Jet-Lag-Diet developed at Argonne National Laboratory.
I can type it in and mail to anyone interested. The short version
is this; start the diet 3 days before departure.
Day 1 feast, day 2 fast, day 3 feast, day 4 (departure day) fast.

Sometime ago Patrick upon hearing about the convention
made a posting inquiring as to where it was and offered
to help with whatever information he could provide.
I told him it was in Hammersmith and this was his 1st response.

PJ>That's west London. The obvious place would be Earls Court,
PJ>a long-established collection of cheap rooming houses and such.
PJ>There are similar places near both Victoria and Paddington Stations
PJ>(due east and north of Hammersmith).

PJ>I'd recommend going west, out towards Acton, Ealing and Chiswick. These
PJ>are nice areas, and have direct Tube service to the convention area.

PJ>I can't make any specific recommendations...I don't know anyone out there
PJ>anymore. If I were you, I'd get a London B&B guide, and look for
PJ>something in these areas...the British Tourist Authority would probably
PJ>be very helpful. These are non-tourist areas, but I know people have
PJ>stayed in them. I know parts of Chiswick well, and it is VERY nice.

PJ>Since this may be the first trip to London for many of you, don't ruin
PJ>it by staying in a tatty place (and Earls Court IS tatty). Take the
PJ>time to find a place in Chiswick or Ealing...if you end up in Ealing,
PJ>eat at Monty's Indian Restaurant...possibly the best Indian food there is!

My sister had suggested several places in the Knightsbridge
area that were highly recommended to her.
PJ>The Knightsbridge area is one of the most expensive in London-it is
PJ>the location of Harrods department store!
For those of you on an unlimited budget here they are (my sister's suggestions)
All are in the range of 100 pounds per night.
	Basil Street Hotel 01-581-3311
	Number 28 Basil Street 01-589-6286
	Chelsa Hotel (on Sloan St) 01-235-4377   FAX 01-235-3705

Personally I chose a hotel in Chiswick. I found it in a booklet
from the BTA titled 'London Budget Hotels 1990'. The name of the
hotel is the Chiswick Hotel, 73 High Rd., W4 2LS near the
Turnham Green stop on the District Line. Phone # 44+81+994-1712
quoted maximum price for single #35, double #55.
PJ>#35 isn't bad for Chiswick.

If you haven't made reservations before departure the LTB
Tourist Information Centre at Victoria Station can make
same day bookings for you for a same fee + deposit.

I asked how much walking-around money I should plan on taking.
PJ>It is hard to say how much money...it depends on your lifestyle. Central
PJ>London is expensive; plan on everything costing as much as or more than
PJ>what you're used to. I should also mention VAT-value added tax. It is
PJ>15%, and is on almost everything-it adds up. There are convoluted ways
PJ>to get refunds, but, unless you're planning on buying something
PJ>really expensive, don't bother.

PJ>I'd recommend taking about #50 in sterling. You could take more, but you'll
PJ>get a better exchange rate there. Don't change money at the airport, at
PJ>train stations and similar places. Do it at a bank. It may be a little
PJ>more inconvenient, but the difference in exchange rate is more than worth it.
PJ>Some US ATM cards now work in certain machines there, but, since you won't
PJ>know what will and won't work, don't count on this. For your information,
PJ>the major banks are Barclays, National Westminster, Lloyds and Midland. I'm a
PJ>Lloyds customer, and recommend them. However, all have branches all over
PJ>London, so you shouldn't have trouble finding one.

PJ>Don't take sterling travellers cheques. If you have an American accent,
PJ>you'll have trouble with them. I don't know why, but this is what I'm told.
PJ>I've used them with no problem on business trips, but I'm not going to the
PJ>Konvention! Take DOLLAR cheques, American Express to be sure, and you'll
PJ>have no trouble! Note that if you're an AmEx cardmember, you can get them
PJ>to do things like change money and so on. I've gotten a gold card just for
PJ>the extra favours I can get overseas...I never use the bloody thing
PJ>otherwise.

PJ>The Tube pass is a good idea. I think they have some special tourist scheme
PJ>that includes discounts on the popular attractions as well. I've never used
PJ>it, but people have told me it is worth having.
We're talking about an item called the London Visitor Travelcard
which needs to be purchased from your travel agent before departure.
It provides unlimited travel on the underground and the bus system.
Airline fare code:BA9980 From:XPE To:XBV
Fares 3 days:Y3LT cost $15.00
  "   4  "   Y4LT  "   $21.00
  "   7  "   Y7LT  "   $35.00

Travel to Hammersmith from Gatwick: take the Gatwick Express #185
(British Rail) to Victoria Station (fare 5# one-way) then the
District Line (underground).