Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-29 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Hard to count

From: PMANCHESTER@ccmail.sunysb.edu
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 90 21:26 EST
Subject: Hard to count

Jon Drukman (jsd@gaffa.mit.edu) justly notes, citing a paragraph I wrote:
> I'm all for heresy, but I'm dead set against factual errors.
>
>> *   Bad sign: for the FIRST TIME in the History of the World, a
>> Kate Bush album was accompanied by only THREE videos.  It has always
>> been four.
>
> From TKI: Wuthering Heights and The Man With The Child In His Eyes. (2)
(Wrong:  from TKI also Them Heavy People, making (3))
> From Lionheart: Wow and Hammer Horror. (2)
> From Never For Ever: Babooshka, Army Dreams and Breathing. (3)
(Wrong:  from NFE also Delius (Song of Summer), making (4)).
> The Dreaming and Hounds Of Love had four videos.
(Agreed).

       I've used up my fair share of bandwidth for a while, but Drukman is right
that I was a little glib with the facts about the number of videos from each of
Kate's albums.  But I'm not all that wrong, either, and he seems to have been a
little loose in his own counts too.
       I was thinking not so much in terms of videos proper, but of available
visualizations, choreographical realizations of songs.  I had immersed myself in
the tape from the Hammersmith Odeon show before I even owned TKI and LH, and
tend to count songs I've "seen."  In that sense there are five from TKI, four
from LH.  From another angle, LH is really a kind of appendix to TKI, so leaving
Hammersmith aside, one could say there are five videos from that one extended
creative effort.
       But are there four 'real' videos from TKI; no, three.  From LH?  No, two.
So I'm wrong.  But Drukman's wrong about TKI and NFE himself.  Here's the list I
had in mind:

THE KICK INSIDE (5)                    LIONHEART (4)
The Man With the Child in His Eyes     Wow
Wuthering Heights                      Hammer Horror
Them Heavy People                       <Live at Hammersmith Odeon>
 <Live at Hammersmith Odeon>            Don't Push Your Foot on the Heartbreak
 Moving                                 Oh England My Lionheart
 Feel It
 James and the Cold Gun

NEVER FOR EVER (4)                     THE DREAMING (4)
Babooshka                              Sat in Your Lap
Delius (Song of Summer)                Suspended in Gaffa
Army Dreamers                          There Goes a Tenner
Breathing                              The Dreaming
"C'mon, we all sing!"                            pmanches@sbccmail  (BITNET)
                                   pmanchester@ccmail.sunysb.edu  (INTERNET)
     Peter Manchester, Religious Studies, SUNY at Stony Brook, NY 11794-3725