Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-26 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Idioglossia: the language of twins

From: gb10@gte.com (Gregory Bossert)
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 90 11:23:31 -0400
Subject: Idioglossia: the language of twins

Gregory Taylor ends his post:

> history is an angel/being blown backwards into the future/ and the angel
> wants to go back and fix things/to repair the things that have been broken
> /but there is a storm blowing from paradise/and the storm keeps blowing
> the angel/backwards into the future/and this storm is called progress.

!!!!  Where is this from!!??!! It seems familiar, but maybe I've just seen a
it is a quote from a song I'd like to track it down...

On the subject of Liz Fraser's lyrics, KaTe's whispers in SiG, etc., I just
bought the Pylon compilation CD (containing most of their first and second
albums) and, lo and behold, it had lyrics.  I've been looking for the lyrics
to _Crazy_ for a long time, but, truth is, I was disappointed when I read
them.  Now I've got this sneaking fear that Liz Fraser is really writing
about ant farming, and REM's "Murmur" is about deficit spending.  As long
as we all *don't* agree on all of Ms. Bush's mysterious whispers, groans,
and shrieks, they'll continue to leave me pleasantly baffled.

This just popped into my head, so don't jump all over me, but I think one
of the problems I have with some of the songs on _TSW_ is the relative
directness of the lyrics.  I'm gonna have to get the lyrics before I give
examples, but certainly the lyrics that stick with me most strongly from
_TWS_ are from "Rocket's Tail" (sic);  the language and imagery is clear,
simple, concise, and utterly baffling.  These are the traits of, for example,
"Get Out of My House", "Hounds of Love", etc. etc. etc. that keep me
up late repeating sections of KaTe's albums and wading through this newsgroup...

-greg -- gb10@gte.com -- "Go stick your head in a pig!"