Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-25 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Stinky old comments

From: dnadler@oatseu.Dayton.NCR.COM (David.Nadler@Dayton.NCR.COM)
Date: 27 Sep 90 18:18:34 GMT
Subject: Stinky old comments
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <9009240510.AA22365@world.std.com> Love-Hounds@gaffa.MIT.EDU writes:
>I almost bought both of Sinead's albums to show support for her right not
>to want our stinky old anthem (it's a STUPID song!) played before her
>concert, except the place I was going to buy them wouldn't accept a check
>
>Vickie (one of Vickie'n'Chris of Chicago)
>katefans@world.std.com

Whoa!  In addition to being a KaTefan, I'm also (or should I say "was) a
VicKie fan.  Your comments have always been enjoyable and insightful
reading, Vickie.  And, IMHO, free from blatant and/or subtle "flaming"
too often found in net postings.  But the above statement, again IMHO, is
an uncool statement from one such as yourself.

I also support Sinead's right to forego the US national anthem before her
concert, but that doesn't necessarily make it a "STUPID" song.  For some,
The Star Spangled Banner is a very moving song.  I may not agree with some
of those people that maintain the song should be sung before every public
gathering, but I also don't downplay the song's value, in consideration to
their feelings.

Before everyone starts flaming me, I'm not a "fascist fundamentalist".  I'm
a "card-carrying" Democrat, I disagree with the idea of a flag-burning law,
and I support NEA funding for ALL projects, regardless of content.  I just
don't agree with belittling the views/feelings of others.  Probably because
I don't much like it when others belittle my own beliefs.

Dave Nadler  (David.Nadler@Dayton.NCR.COM)