Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-25 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Stinky old comments

From: abvax!odin.icd.ab.com!rcs@uunet.UU.NET (Robert C. Sinkovic)
Date: 1 Oct 90 13:50:55 GMT
Subject: Re: Stinky old comments
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: abvax!news@uunet.UU.NET

Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
In article <197@oatseu.Dayton.NCR.COM> Love-Hounds@gaffa.MIT.EDU writes:
>Really-From: dnadler@oatseu.Dayton.NCR.COM (David.Nadler@Dayton.NCR.COM)
>

>In article <9009240510.AA22365@world.std.com> Love-Hounds@gaffa.MIT.EDU writes:
>>I almost bought both of Sinead's albums to show support for her right not
>>to want our stinky old anthem (it's a STUPID song!) played before her
>>concert, except the place I was going to buy them wouldn't accept a check
>>
>>Vickie (one of Vickie'n'Chris of Chicago)
>>katefans@world.std.com
>

>Whoa!  In addition to being a KaTefan, I'm also (or should I say "was) a
>VicKie fan.  Your comments have always been enjoyable and insightful
>reading, Vickie.  And, IMHO, free from blatant and/or subtle "flaming"
>too often found in net postings.  But the above statement, again IMHO, is
>an uncool statement from one such as yourself.
>
>I also support Sinead's right to forego the US national anthem before her
>concert, but that doesn't necessarily make it a "STUPID" song.  For some,
>The Star Spangled Banner is a very moving song.  I may not agree with some
>of those people that maintain the song should be sung before every public
>gathering, but I also don't downplay the song's value, in consideration to
>their feelings.
>
>Before everyone starts flaming me, I'm not a "fascist fundamentalist".  I'm
>a "card-carrying" Democrat, I disagree with the idea of a flag-burning law,
>and I support NEA funding for ALL projects, regardless of content.  I just
>don't agree with belittling the views/feelings of others.  Probably because
>I don't much like it when others belittle my own beliefs.
>
>Dave Nadler  (David.Nadler@Dayton.NCR.COM)

	Right on, Dave! Vickie, you were totally off base on this one!
Just because a song does not agree with your particular beliefs or opinions
does not make it "stinky" or "stupid" to others. Who appointed you to be
the musical conscience of this newsgroup? How many songs on your "playlists"
have not been agreeable to all of the readers on this net, all of the
time? Yet, noone has called your particular likes and dislikes "stupid".

	You owe some big-time apologies on this one! Perhaps we should
take a cue from your heroine Sinnead, and have a Vickie boycott on this
newsgroup until you do....

Bob