Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-24 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: THE DREAMING

From: woiccare@pebbles.sct.clarkson.edu
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 90 3:11:28 EST
Subject: Re: THE DREAMING
Sender: woiccare@pebbles.sct.clarkson.edu

tomas sez:
> P.S. Lest we drown ourselves in simple factual info and trivia (always
> fun but not enough), I'd also be interested to read some comments as to
> what kind of feelings, thoughts, impressions and/or emotions the
> aforementioned album inspires in its devoted listeners (anyone who
> actually listens to the thing has to be devoted, but anyway...).
> I know it's not an easy thing to verbalize, but, well, see if you can
> give it a try.

hm...td was the last album i bought. mostly cos i had no real knowledge
of KaTe at the time and i just picked up what i could and when. it took
me by surprise, but i recall that i immediately liked it. i also remem-
ber thinking about how different it made me feel from the other albums.
where nfe was pure listening pleasure, the first two theatrical and very
dramatic and hol (this was in `86 when i bought it) just plain sublime
and moving, td came across as dissonant and almost violent. i felt pain
listening to the contortions of her voice on "get out of my house". i
felt confusion listening to "sat in your lap". in fact, the whole album
really threw me for a loop and confused the hell out of me. but i liked
it (though many of the early KonverTs i had made freshman year didn't
*at all*). i know that this effect has worn off quite a bit now, and
now that i bring it up, this bothers me since i *want* to feel that
confusion again - the disorientation of the unexpected, the agony of the
voice. hm, i think i'll listen to it when i go to bed tonight (this
morning?!?) and see if it inspires any dreams...or nightmares? :)

woj