Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-24 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: THE DREAMING

From: gb10@gte.com (Gregory Bossert)
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 90 11:31:13 -0400
Subject: Re: THE DREAMING

Really-From: uribe@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Tomas E. Uribe):

> P.S. Lest we drown ourselves in simple factual info and trivia (always
> fun but not enough), I'd also be interested to read some comments as to
> what kind of feelings, thoughts, impressions and/or emotions the
> aforementioned album inspires in its devoted listeners (anyone who
> actually listens to the thing has to be devoted, but anyway...).
> I know it's not an easy thing to verbalize, but, well, see if you can
> give it a try.

_The Draeming_ was the first album by Ms. Bush that I stumbled across;  I
got it the day it came out (in Northfield, MN, that is, which isn't on the
forefront of modern music...).  Let's see, I also got T. Dolby's "The Flat
Earth", and, I _think_, Martha and the Muffin's _Danceparc_.  Dolby I sold
back (can't explain it, since I like the album a lot now...), M+M I liked
enough to go buy _This is the ice age_ (one of my very favorite albums!) and
Kate just utterly trashed my brain.  It was a really rough year anyway,
between being a senior with no prospects (I was an English major, he
explains) and various relationship-type disasters, and _TD_ more or less
summed up my attitude.  My friend Dan (who also introduced me to this news
group -- hi Dan!!) had gotten me into Genesis/Gabriel/Yes/Floyd, etc., so the
elaborate production caught my interest, and what with U2's _War_ and R.E.M.'s
first EP coming out I was beginning to listen to more. well, desperate music,
but _TD_ was this incredible howl of emotion;  I didn't know a record could
be that concentrated, and I was excited that KaTe had found a way to be
powerful, and LOUD, without just thrashing or power-chording through
standard 4/4 progressions.  It was a couple of years before I bought _TKI_,
because I was disappointed at first listen by its prettier, more standard
gloss.  (Of course, once I finally did buy it, I realized I'd been fooled
by 'appearances'...)  I think hearing _TD_ first has greatly affected how
I hear KaTe's other work:  knowing she has that in her makes me very sensitive
to the 'out-there' bits in her work.  Also, to this day I listen to KaTe
louder than most other artists (I listen to 'noisy' groups like Pixies at
very low volumes).  And my first performing group was called the Dreaming.

Oh yeah, and about half way through "Get Out of My House" I thought,
"She is, you know."  Took me years to figure it out...

Footah!
-greg -- gb10@gte.com -- "it all goes slo-mo"