Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-24 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Suzanne Vega

From: woiccare@pebbles.sct.clarkson.edu
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 90 2:59:48 EST
Subject: Re: Suzanne Vega
Sender: woiccare@pebbles.sct.clarkson.edu

ray saddler sez:
> Enjoy the concert!  I saw her 'Open Hand' show this year over here in Seattle,
> and it was *fantastic*, so I encourage everyone who likes her stuff to
> attend.

you better believe i'm gonna enjoy it. i missed her in 1987 cos a bone-
head friend of mine didn't call me up and tell me she was playing at the
in albany...and then with the past spring in the states, i never seemed
to in the area of where she was while i was moving all over the northeast.
but not anymore! :)

> She and her band have a good time, and  Suz takes time to sit on her stool,
> on the edge of the stage and yak with the audience.  I was, however, amazed
> at how short her hair has become, and dressed really funky.  Not the quite
> appearance from her earlier days, she's  extremely outgoing in her
> performance and it's exciting to see live (and up close)

i kinda like the short hair myself. though i think i liked the cover
shot on the first album the best (source, i like that album the best,
mostly cos i heard that one the first, as i think i wrote about last
spring sometime).

as for outgoing, i picked up a boot lp of a concert in italy that has her
trying real hard to speak italian and not doing too bad either (at least
to my untrained ear). she seemed very personable here, and yet, on an
`86 show i have, she's cold (wearing the uniform, for those of you who
read that wonderful article in musician from a few months back). i'm
thikning that i'll enjoy this show very much - and i surely intend to
try and get right up front.

the other nice thing about this record is that two never-released songs
are on it: "daniela" and "rainsong". the first wasn't too memorable
(but then we all know about my memory), but "rainsong" is absolutely
wonderful! this show is from `84 and her voice kinda reveals this since
it is decidedly more shaky, but the song is so poignant in its message.
and it seems to remind me of another song that i can never put my fin-
ger on. it drizzles like the storm outside her pane...

> Maybe you can ask her to explain the rules while she's taking a break and
> chatting with the audience.  Let us know!

well, that's not exactly what i had in mind, but we'll see! :)

woj