Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-23 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

A star mangled spanner

From: nbc%inf.rl.ac.uk@mitvma.mit.edu
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 90 18:43:51 BST
Subject: A star mangled spanner

>From: cjs@hotlf.att.com c.swanson
>Subject: barr roseanne? No, Skin sinead
>
>Well, Sinead O'Connor has raised the ire of
>lots of people in NJ.
>On Friday, at the Garden State Arts Center, she
>refused to play if the center played the National
>Anthem -- something they always do before a concert.

In the UK I have never heard the national anthem played at a rock concert.
In fact if it was played the audience would probably think the Queen
had died or something. They used to play the anthem after films in the
cinema and that was the cue for a rapid stampede for the exits.

>Anyway, now several DJs in NJ are banning sinead.
>WHTG's morning man, Bart Cross-Tierny, is asking all his
>listeners to send thier sinead CDs, LPs, button's etc.
>back to Chrylis Records and gives the address.
>Anyway, I'm siding with the DJs.  I don't think Sinead should
>consider herself GOD (only kate is).

Looks like US DJs are even less intelligent than British ones and
that's saying something. As for people who do what they say, well ....

>From: <ames!ames!claris!portal!cup.portal.com!Ken_-_SaintJohn@uunet.UU.NET>
>   I think this deal with Sinead is a load of hypercritical crap! :-)
>So she has a problem listening to the American national anthem? Do you
>think she has the SAME problem receiving or spending American CURRENCY???

>From: ptsfa!pacbell!tjb@ns.PacBell.COM
>Subject: Re: barr roseanne? No, Skin sinead
>yes sinead has the right to criticize our country.
>but i don't have to like it and frankly i agree with every poster who's
>called her a self-righteous *****.

For Kate's sake guys this is supposed to be Rock 'N Roll not the Readers
Digest music circle. What happened to good old sex and drugs and
rock and roll as a young person's adage?

Do you anthem lovers tell your parents to turn down their record players
so that you can watch TV. Did all those rock rebels (Morrison, Moon, Joplin,
Vicious) die in vain just for you to get steamed up about playing the
US national anthem before a rock concert. Did punk pass you by. I can just
see the Pistols and the Clash standing to attention before they began their
concerts!! The Pistols sang "God save the Queen, your fascist regime"
and made it to the top of the UK charts without democracy crumbling.

It's just unbelievable. I bet Sinead jaywalked on her way to the concert
as well. Lock up your sons, American mothers, there's an Irish she-devil
on the loose.

Most American comedians who come over here have their stock of Royal
Family jokes. It may surprise you to learn that we tend to laugh (at
least at the good jokes) and do not cart the comedians off to the
Tower or write letters of protest to the Times. There must be an awful
lot of insecure people in the US if something as petty as Sinead's
refusal becomes hot news.

Neil

--
Neil Calton                          UUCP:   ..!mcsun!ukc!rlinf!nbc
Informatics Department,              NSFNET: nbc%inf.rl.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk