Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-23 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: barr roseanne? No, Skin sinead

From: James Smith <CCJS@cc.nu.oz.au>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 90 12:18 +1000
Subject: Re: barr roseanne? No, Skin sinead

From: ccjs@cc.nu.oz.au (James Smith)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Date: 4 Sep 90 12:18:17 +1000

tjb writes:

> well actually i think that the reason some of us percieve sinead's action
> as an ego trip is that i doubt she would've made a fuss about any other
> national anthem than america's.

Sinead is a supporter of the IRA.  As such, she probably views the events
in Northern Ireland as a war against the English.  Therefore, I assume
that she would have objected most strongly to having the British national
anthem played at her concerts.  Perhaps she views America as supportive
of the British, or, more likely, perhaps she has just decided that she
does not want any anthem played at all.  Certainly there is nothing in
her action to suggest she is anti-American to the extent you suggest.

As for the view that Sinead is anti-nationalism, how could any IRA
supporter be other than pro-nationalism?  The whole struggle in
Northern Ireland is about having it declared independent of Britain.

Jim

P.S.  I personally think the IRA are a pack of murderous bastards who
should be taken out and shot, but that's just my opinion.  It certainly
doesn't stop me from enjoying her music.

--
James Smith          | Wherever the French girl with the green eyes
Computing Centre     | passes, nothing remains save wreckage and dead