Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Happy Birthday

From: nrc@cbema.att.com (Neal R Caldwell, Ii)
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 90 02:33:12 EDT
Subject: Happy Birthday

Happy Fifth Birthday, Love-Hounds.

Thanks to Sakari Jalovaara for preventing this occaision from going
unnoted.

It's amazing how far it's come since that original distribution list
of eight people.  Doug's was the only familier name on that list (to
me anyway) but I wonder if any of the other charter members are lurking
out there.

Anyone care to give a capsule history of Love-Hounds?  How quickly did
it grow?  Just how big is it anyway?  When did it take it's current form
as a mail/newsgroup.  And just when did you [the reader] discover
Love-Hounds?

Forgive me if I wax a bit nostalgic but this came just as I was
tripping down memory lane anyway.  It was just about five years ago
now that I saw Kate for the very first time.  Being a nightowl I was
privileged to see MTV's airing of the Wogan _Running Up That Hill_
video several times.  Each time I saw the video I was more fascinated
by this artist and I was curious to see the next video (_Cloudbusting_)
which MTV said would be airing soon.   Unfortunately I never saw the
next video and I didn't go looking for her records.

Little did I know that even then a small group of Kate devotees were
forming an electronic mailing list...

Kate crossed my path again when I caught part of the USA network's
showing of the Hammersmith show.  I tuned in right in the middle of
_James and the Cold Gun_ and all I could think was (forgive me)
"weird".

It wasn't until a friend wanted me to hear _Experiment IV_ that
I saw the light.  As he was scanning through _The Whole Story_
looking for _Experiment IV_ he commented, "Uuuh, the rest of it's
kinda strange."  But I had caught a bit of _Army Dreamers_ and I knew
that I had to hear the entire tape.  The rest is history.  The entire
CD catalog was ours within six months.

When I found that there were videos around of many of Kate's
television appearances I thought it would be nice to find one with the
Wogan performance of _RUTH_ just to recall the feeling of seeing Kate
for the first time.  I finally found it just last week and I wasn't
disappointed.  It's a wonderfully simple performance, brilliant - well,
as lip syncs go.

"Don't drive too slowly."                 Richard Caldwell
                                          AT&T Network Systems
                                          att!cbnews!nrc
                                          nrc@cbnews.att.com